Red White and Blue IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
4th of July beer!!! I used a 13# grain bill to represent the 13 colonies, Red White and Blue ingredients, finished with Warrior and Liberty hops. Im about to bottle about a 12 pack and rack the rest on to the fruit puree mix. Will update with pics soon.

GRAIN BILL....mashed @ 154-155

10.5# 2Row
1# Crystal 40
1# Golden Promise
.5# White wheat

BOIL

After hot break, boil for 30 mins before starting hop schedule.

1 oz Warrior 60 mins (Bittering)
1# Clear Candied Sugar 30 mins
Irish Moss
1 oz Liberty 15 mins (Flavoring)
1 oz Liberty 5 mins (Aroma)

Fermentation

Primary - 3 weeks @ 66-68f
Secondary - Rack on to 3# Blueberry and 3# Red Raspberry puree mix and let sit for 2-3 weeks.

Just racked 5 gal onto the puree mix and it smells amazing. Also has a nice deep purple color. Bottled the other gal to have some to taste side by side with the rest that went on the fruit.

11 days on fruit and a nice deep purple color. Bottling either sunday or tuesday.

RWB in Carboy 5:18:12.jpeg

I did try one of the bottles of the 12 pack I bottled of the brew before fruit. It was nice... Hoppy aroma with a nice balance of hop and malt flavor with a faint bready finish. Will update a pic of that soon.

This beer sounds really good. I had a decently hoppy blueberry pale ale once...it was surprisingly good.

I really like Golden Promise...I did a version of the Imperial Pale Ale from Extreme Brewing. Used only golden promise, added myrica gale with the bittering hop addition, and elderberries at 10 mins with the flavoring hops. Came out fantastic and the gale really added a cool buzz. Everyone in my brewclub liked it.

Hella tasty!!!! When I racked onto the fruit I filled the carboy waaaay too high so I had to take 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon out and add that to what I had already planned to bottle as what was supposed to be a "pre fruit" version of the final product. Well by doing that I ended up with a very small amount amount of fruit puree in each bottle. The aroma is fruity, and the flavor is hoppy and berry like with a malty bready finish. Im really proud of this original recipe. I will be brewing this for every 4th of July and probably more often than that. If I were to change anything I'd hop it up about an oz more on the flavoring addition and maybe a little on the bittering. Cheers :mug:

RWB Pre-fruit.jpeg

Bottled 56 today giving me 67 total on the batch....OG 1.067 FG 1.014. The sample tastes and smells really good, almost like strawberry. I really like the color too its like a dark red. I will be brewing this one again for sure.

RWB Sample @ bottling.jpeg

Back