Switching a 5500watt element between 220v and 110v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lzrdkng14

Reaction score
Has anyone tried doing this? It seems like an easy way to mantain temp in the BK using a 3 way switch. I haven't found any threads on this (yet).

I did this a long time ago. It didn't work for me. On 110v it wouldn't boil and 220 was too much. I had to sit and throw the switch constantly. Don't waste your time.

onthekeg said:
I did this a long time ago. It didn't work for me. On 110v it wouldn't boil and 220 was too much. I had to sit and throw the switch constantly. Don't waste your time.

Even for a 5 gallon batch size?

The reason it doesn't work well is because when it's running on 110v it's only producing 1/4 of the power, not half as you may assume. So your 5500 Watts becomes 1375, not sure if that's enough to maintain a rolling boil - but given that I'm operating at about 65% duty cycle on my 5500W element for 7G of wort, I'd say no.

With enough insulation, I could move the world! (Ok, I vulgarized that from the lever). Anyway, you can boil water with 1W with enough insulation.

Given that we can't cover the wort for the need to boil off DMS, I wonder what the practical limit is. Sure, you can insulate the sides - but your losing a ton of heat/energy out of the top that you have to replace in order to maintain the boil.

Given that we can't cover the wort for the need to boil off DMS, I wonder what the practical limit is. Sure, you can insulate the sides - but your losing a ton of heat/energy out of the top that you have to replace in order to maintain the boil.

You can cover before the boil.

It would be a cool experiment to see how low I can dial down the power and keep 10g of water boiling in a very well insulated keg.

Back