Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTBORN

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I brewed an English ale yesterday (using grains and extract). When I transferred it to the carboy, a decent amount of trub made its way in. Does the use of a secondary fermentation device help get rid of some of that trub before it goes to the bottling bucket? I guess what I'm ultimately hoping is that I can have the cleanest beer possible. Also, if the secondary fermentation will help achieve that end, what's the best method to transfer it, when should the transfer occur, and for how long should it sit in the secondary fermentation device?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For a clean or clear brew use irish moss or a worflock tab sorry on the spelling. Using secondary is good for dryhoping but I use it to pull the brew off the trub and yeast cake. Secondary is 100% optional unless you dryhop or add fruits ect. To tranfer I use a auto siphon that came with my brew kit. Just tilt your carboy so you can pull more brew out of the carboy. I hope I was able to answer your questions. I let brew sit for 7 days in secondary.

I wouldn't worry about any trub getting in there. Given enough time everything should settle to the bottom. When you rack (transfer) to your bottling bucket just make sure you stay below the surface and above the trub cake and you should be fine. Like stated above secondary is mostly used for fruits and dry hopping .

I think a secondary is fantastic for reducing the trub layer and getting beer cleer. I've left some beers in the primary for 5+ weeks and I just don't seem to get a tight trub layer like others do.

I can basically siphon from the primary without the concern of avoiding the trub...I literally have the bottom plub in the trub layer at the end and get nearly all the beer out. Even with this, the trub layer in my secondary a week later looks a lot like that in a bottled beer: a tight ring around the edges of the carboy.

For me, its worth it...but I am also dry hopping so it makes more sense. Try it and see if its worth your time and effort

Back