honey cream ale my first recipe any thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sils13

Reaction score
so i've been doing a lot of reading and searching i've brewed a strawberry cream ale and a friend of mine is crazy about it i could probably give him a keg monthly he's in love lol! but it reminds him a lot of rouges honey cream ale and since he's gonna b in town to brew i thought it would be fitting to brew something like it. I've never even tried it nor is it made anymore.I don't expect it to be exact but it's a good oppurtunity for me to try my hand at making my own recipe and having someone with an expectation to critique it! keep expanding my brewing knowledge :)! i have ended up putting together my own recipe from other recipes i have seen and what not and this is what i came up with for my own i was hoping to get some thoughts and opionons thanx

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 american ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.00
Original Gravity:1.053
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 18.25
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 63-75F

Grain Bill
1# munich Malt
1# honey malt
2# caremel malt
6# rahr 2-row

Hops
1 oz crystal @ 60 mins
1 oz crystal @ 0 mins

Mash at 152F for 90 minutes with 20qt
Sparge at 168-170F for 15-30 minutes with 10 qt

adding 1lb northern brewer Minnesota honey during high kreusen probably day 2 or 3 in primary
CHEERS I LOVE THIS HOBBY :mug:

Looks really good! It will be pretty sweet tasting at 16 IBU and with that 2# of caramel (how dark btw?) But that's probably what your going for. If it was me I'd use 8 ounces less caramel and make it 25 IBU, but that's why we brew our own beer :mug:

kk thanx for the reply i'll play around in ibrewmaster and c what i think thank u!
and the caramel malt is 10.0 L i picked the lightest one. i do like the suggestion of a few more ibu's im personally a hop head but the other cream ale i did was only like 8 ibu so i wasnt sure how much more to go without getting to far out of profile.

With 2 pounds of caramel malt and a pound of honey malt, that will be a very sweet beer. That sounds like what you're going for, so it should work well for you. It's got 20% crystal/caramel malt, 10% honey malt and only 70% base malt, and combined with the low IBUs it should be very sweet.

Alrite thank u for the input! I suppose first recipe worth brewing and seeing how I did. One question I have when formulating a recipe we'll use this one for example say I would add like another lb of base say 2-row would that just balance out the sweetness more or would I bump up my ibu's instead and leave my grain bill alone?

Most any malt you add is going to contribute unfermentable long chain sugars and add sweetness. So the more base malt, the more sweet, generally. You could keep the honey malt, maybe 8 ounces of the caramel and up the base malt by 2 pounds and give that a shot.

Latest posts

Back