Irish Whiskey Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
Here is recipe I'm working on, with plans to brew in the next month. This is going to be a foreign export stout with Irish whiskey and oak added in secondary.

Partial mash, 5 gallons

4 lbs 2 Row (UK)
1.5 lbs roasted barley
1 lbs chocolate malt (UK)
.5 lb flaked barley
.5 lb flaked oats

5.5 lbs light DME

Mash grains at ~153 F

1 oz Target hops, 60 mins
1 oz EK Goldings hops, 5 mins

Wyeast Irish ale yeast

This should give it an OG of 1.077 and an FG of 1.021 for 7.8 % ABV.

I plan to leave in primary for 2-3 weeks, while soaking 3 oz medium toast oak chips in Irish Whiskey. I'll then rack the stout onto the whiskey and oak.

A few questions for the brew veterans out there:
1) Is it necessary for me to use both the flaked barley and the flaked oak? My understanding is the barley will give it good head retention, while the oak will make it more silky and smooth in the mouth. I've not used either.
2) Would a different yeast make this a drier stout? If so, what yeast?
3) How long should this sit in secondary on top of the oak? I'm hoping to let this bottle condition for 3+ months, and drink the first bottle on St Paddy's day.
4) Should I plan on adding extra yeast at bottling time? How much priming sugar would give it the proper carbonation for a stout?

Thanks for any and all advice.

I would recommend getting oak cubes instead of oak chips. Soak the cubes in said whiskey for 2-3 weeks and age to taste in the secondary.

Latest posts

Back