Got my blowoff tube on just in the nick of time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
It's been 4 days since fermentation started, 5 days since I brewed but I noticed the krausen getting awfully close to the airlock this morning.

2011-09-06_17-32-10_245.jpg

So I put on the blowoff tube, disaster averted!

2011-09-06_17-36-43_907.jpg

Also, what do you all think about that krausen? Pretty gnarly looking. This is my third brew, first time I've needed a blow off tube. This is the craziest fermentation I've had so far.

Great stuff, it would probably ferment wood if you let it try. Every time I use that yeast, I have to scrub the krausen off the top of the 6.5 gallon fermentator bucket top and take a small brush through the blow-off hose to clean up the mess it makes.

I always use blow off tubes right from the start. I almost always brew with 05 so maybe that is why I learned to set up the blow off system.

Coulda called US-05 on that one. It's funny how similar the krausen always looks. That slimy, big bubbly goo.

Now that I think about it, of the 4 batches I've brewed, the 2 most active fermentations were US-05. First two were T-58 and S-04. The third was US-05 and filled the carboy with krausen up to the neck, and the last one was also US-05 and went up into the blowoff tube.

The one I'm about to brew will use White Labs WLP001 (felt the need to try a liquid yeast though really it wouldn't taste much, if any different than using US-05). Gonna keep a sachet of US-05 on hand in any case, because it's been in the mail since Friday....worried about the viability of the liquid yeast.

I'm brewing a pumpkin ale too that I needed to put a blowoff on in the nick of time. I'm using Wyeast 1272. I've seen other pumpkins with really active fermentation too.

Maybe it's just the time of year and the rise in homebrewing pumpkin beer, but it seems that this style really creates an active fermentation.

Back