Brand new, how does this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC_Newbie

Reaction score
Hi there. I am completely new to brewing and was hoping to get some help as to what I need. It has always been a dream of mine to do this and I've tried to research this but I'm left with more questions than answers.

I was hoping this forum could help me. I've seen a bunch of different ways suggested to even brew the same beer. Does anyone have a link that gives a step-by-step guide from selecting the ingredients to kegging the finished product?

Thank you!!!

You can start by reading the stickies at the top of this forum. There are also many books on this very subject. Most home brewing sites have them,including amazon.com. Amazon & Midwest use Fed-Ex,so they're quick too.

There is a bunch of information on the site already covered, just be sure to search for it. (Probably may be knowing the right terms to search for)

If your completely new, I'd suggest starting off brewing extract, so you can learn the process. Here is a sticky topic on that:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beginner-extract-brewing-howto-99139/

That may or may not go into the equipment you need. For about $150 there are beginner kits online that have everything you need. A kettle for boiling, a bucket for fermentation, another bucket for bottline, a bottle capper, caps, racking cane, tubing, cleaning equipment - and the ingredient kits.

My suggestion is to start there. Don't think about kegging yet. Learn to brew first, and then bottle. Learn the process, how to clean, how to sanitize. Thats how I started. I did two extract kits, then made a setup for All-Grain brewing, and setup a kegging system. But you need to learn the basics first. Brewing 101.

I thought maybe the op was referring to picking beer ingredients & how to do it?...So,do you need the equipment too?

Welcome to home brewing!

I recommend that you read "How to Brew," by John Palmer. It should be available through your library system. Before you're halfway through the book you'll know everything you need to know to make a 5 gallon batch with malt extract (liquid or dry), hops pellets, and dry yeast. It's really quite easy. Your local home brew shop (assuming you have one) will also be an invaluable source of information.

My next recommendation is that if you have any interest in all-grain brewing, don't wait too long to get your feet wet. I brewed three extract batches before switching to all-grain brewing with the brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) system, which I've found to be no more difficult than extract brewing, cheaper, and more satisfying.

Oh, and read and post a lot on this forum!

I have a home brewing kit that my wife got me for an anniversary present about a month ago- that's kind of what reignited my wanting to do this- but it's the 1-gallon Mr. Beer kit that uses its own ingredients, etc.

I've seen things about malting your own barley, boiling pots with false bottoms, etc. but I'm afraid I'm not sure what all that means. I'd love to have a nice sophisticated set-up where I can do the malting, sparging, boiling, etc. myself but I'm not 100% sure where to even start.

All grain has a lot more to it than extract brewing. Even though extracts have some rules of their own to follow,they're generally easier,since the mashing,etc has been done for you already. That'll allow you to concentrate on getting your own brewing process down 1st.
I highly recommend that as a 1st step. You've got some learning to do,so don't overload yourself too quickly.

"How to Brew" is also available for free online (legally, straight from the author.) The online version is not as current is the printed version, but it has all the information you need.

Palmer (the author) lays the book out as a quick-start guide for the impatient, followed by more details for those who want to progress beyond the first batch.

How to Brew -- John Palmer

Awesome! Thank you guys for the help! I guess I probably should learn how to walk before I try a marathon.

Any suggestions on equipment for beginning with extract brewing that would seamlessly transition once I'm ready for the all-grain?

I have a home brewing kit that my wife got me for an anniversary present about a month ago- that's kind of what reignited my wanting to do this- but it's the 1-gallon Mr. Beer kit that uses its own ingredients, etc.

I've seen things about malting your own barley, boiling pots with false bottoms, etc. but I'm afraid I'm not sure what all that means. I'd love to have a nice sophisticated set-up where I can do the malting, sparging, boiling, etc. myself but I'm not 100% sure where to even start.

I agree with the previous posters, walk before you run. Do an easy extract, learn the basics, read the stickies and books, and brew a great first ale! Welcome and good luck.:mug:

Welcome to Home Brewing!
To begin, Read, read, read...
Then, it gets down to this: Its cooking. If you can boil water, you can do it.
One of the first things your going to need to do is get familliar with some of the basic terms, equipment needed and the like. If you have a Home Brew shop somewhere near, check to see if they have a class or Brew Day scheduled.
I got lost in all the buzz words, Sparge, brew pot, alchometer etc..
It will clear up, read, watch some youtube videos, then get in there and do it
We will be here to help

Thanks Sixfooter! That's kind of where I'm lost. We have a reasonably large craft brewer in my home town and I've taken the tour so many times I can recite it from memory. So I figured it was just throwing some ingredients in a pot, boiling them, adding some yeast and refrigerating for a couple days. Now I've started reading about it and realized I have no idea what sparging is, let alone how I'd go about it. I'm just lucky to have stumbled across this amazing site with all of you awesome people to help!

I have a home brewing kit that my wife got me for an anniversary present about a month ago- that's kind of what reignited my wanting to do this- but it's the 1-gallon Mr. Beer kit that uses its own ingredients, etc...

Might as well use the Mr. Beer and the ingredients it came with. While that's fermenting, you can look around and see what you might be interested in getting (if anything) to move up a notch or two.

There is a sticky in this forum about Mr. Beer, and "How To Brew" also addresses the use of a Mr. Beer or similar. From memory (and keep in mind I'm pretty new at this too,) a couple key pieces of advice are to allow more time for fermentation, and avoid using table sugar for anything (so it may be worth it to order an alternative online.)

...So I figured it was just throwing some ingredients in a pot, boiling them, adding some yeast and refrigerating for a couple days. ...

Extract brewing is about what you describe. On the complexity scale it lies between Mr. Beer and all-grain brewing. Great place to start.

Great! Thanks again to all of you for all the help! I'm sure I'll be back on here often to learn more and get more help once I get things going.

To help you understand the differnet brewing processes, I'll give you a bit of info. Starting from the most complex:

Have you ever visited/toured a commercial brewery? If you have the most likely showed you the mash tun, lauter tun and boiling kettles. The mash tun is where they mix crushed grains and water at specific temperatures to convert the starches in the barley to simple, fermentable sugars.

This is the first step to all grain brewing and what seperates it from extract brewing. From this point on the processes converge.

When using extract, you are using a flour or syrup that is nothing more than a concentrated version of the mash I described above.

If you are an extract brewer, you add the extract flour or syrup to water to make your wort, and bring it to a boil. As an all grain brewer, you collect the wort from the grains themselves and bring it to a boil.

Great advice, Germelli! I've been to the Coors brewery once but it was a few years ago and I didn't remember all of the different steps. The local craft brewer I've been to doesn't explain the brewing process nearly as in-depth as what I've read.

Tell you what. Look in my recipes for an example of a good extract recipe. It uses DME &LME,among other common additives/processes. That'll give you a decent idea.:mug:

I'd use that kit you got and maybe start looking at buying a "basic" homebrew equipment kit as an upgrade if you like brewing (you know you will ;) ), and reading How to brew or some other books. There is a TON of basic information on this site (stickies and whatnot) and elsewhere online.

The basic kit will have a few things that make going 5 gallon extract batches easy. If you are not sure of what's going on in All Grain brewing, then getting a basic kit and brewing a few extract batches will be a good way to get introduced to the hobby without spending too much time and money on AG brewing.

After you decide you want to do AG brewing, you can do Brew in a Bag, or spend more and build a Cooler Mash Tun and buy a turkey fryer to make beer right from grain. Of course you can also spend much more on fancy stuff.

Thanks, Homercidal! Love the name, by the way!

I already did the brewing with the Mr. Brew which has me wanting to do the next step. From what everyone's saying, it sounds like extract brewing is the way to go. What I'd like to do is upgrade from the Mr. Beer equipment to a system that will allow me to do the extract system but then transition to an all-grain system once I'm ready without having to go back and purchase new equipment for that as well. Any suggestions on what to buy to do that?

There are some nice beginner brewing kits from Midwest,norther brewer,williams,AHS,to name a few. Even amazon.com,& they/Midwest use Fed-Ex,which is faster. Great service & quality stuff from amazon & Midwest,ime so far.

Welcome to home brewing!

I recommend that you read "How to Brew," by John Palmer. It should be available through your library system. Before you're halfway through the book you'll know everything you need to know to make a 5 gallon batch with malt extract (liquid or dry), hops pellets, and dry yeast. It's really quite easy. Your local home brew shop (assuming you have one) will also be an invaluable source of information.

My next recommendation is that if you have any interest in all-grain brewing, don't wait too long to get your feet wet. I brewed three extract batches before switching to all-grain brewing with the brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) system, which I've found to be no more difficult than extract brewing, cheaper, and more satisfying.

Oh, and read and post a lot on this forum!

+1 on Palmer's book.

I'm also from KC, and started this April. I went right into All Grain brewing and kegging. Built a keezer before my first batch was ready.

As far as starter kits go, I recommend the deluxe starter kit from Northern Brewer, and would recommend better bottles instead of glass if you go carboy. Trust me, dropping a 6 gallon glass carboy is scary, and a big waste of $60!

There is a good brewing store in Shawnee Mission on Nieman road. It's called Bacchus and Barlycorn. I have picked up a few things there, including liquid yeast in the summer, but I order most of my stuff from Austin Home Brew and Northern Brewer.

Another site I spent a lot of time on when learning was www.donosborn.com. He has a lot of videos and such.

I hope your wife knows what she is getting into. My wife thinks I'm crazy, and she now even understands all the brewing terms. We toured Schlafly last weekend, and she knows more than the tour guide did.

Now what does the carboy do? Is that the same as a "fermenter"? I saw the Bacchus and Barlycorn shop and there's one called Apex Brew Wares in Independence that I've been checking out online. I'm guessing I'll be spending plenty of time at both. Unless the online stores are cheaper?

But yeah, she's a little worried about the disaster I'll make, but I told her it's all her fault for getting me the Mr. Beer in the first place. :)

Now what does the carboy do? Is that the same as a "fermenter"? I saw the Bacchus and Barlycorn shop and there's one called Apex Brew Wares in Independence that I've been checking out online. I'm guessing I'll be spending plenty of time at both. Unless the online stores are cheaper?

But yeah, she's a little worried about the disaster I'll make, but I told her it's all her fault for getting me the Mr. Beer in the first place. :)

Yes, a carboy is a fermenter. It's clear so you can see the magic happening instead of a bucket.

And Yes, the prices online are significantly less than buying at the local store. I do try to give the local store some biz though, but ingrediants are much less online.

Awesome! Thanks! I've been reading Palmer's book (awesome post showing where he put it online for free!) since you guys started recommending it so I'll have to check out the others as well!

Thanks, Homercidal! Love the name, by the way!

I already did the brewing with the Mr. Brew which has me wanting to do the next step. From what everyone's saying, it sounds like extract brewing is the way to go. What I'd like to do is upgrade from the Mr. Beer equipment to a system that will allow me to do the extract system but then transition to an all-grain system once I'm ready without having to go back and purchase new equipment for that as well. Any suggestions on what to buy to do that?

Get a bigger pot. Most extract brew how-to's will tell you that a 4-5 gallon pot is fine(and it is for extract) but when you move to all-grain you will want 7.5 gallons or more, get a 9-10 gallon pot if you can. You can find uses for a smaller pot, but buying the big one from the start is a good idea.

"How to Brew" by John Palmer is available free online. Somebody has probably already mentioned this. It's a great, great source.

My advice is definitely not going to be the cheapest route, but in the long run I think you'll be saving money.

Decent water: if your tap water doesn't make you gag when you drink it, your tap water should be fine. If it does make you gag, then buy some drinking water in gallon jugs.

Start with either a pale ale extract kit or a pale ale extract kit that has specialty grains. Extract kits with specialty grains are not much harder to do than a simple extract kit, and you'll get a better tasting beer from a kit with the specialty grains.

Wyeast yeast smack packs are great. They make life easier, especially for new brewers. You can mess around with dried yeast and yeast starter kits if you like. I wouldn't recommend it.

Northern Brewer is a good place to buy kits and yeast. They have very comprehensive instructions included in their kits.

Probably the most expensive thing you're going to buy starting out of the gate is the brew kettle. Brew kettles can be prohibitively expensive. If I could do it all over again, I would have avoided buying a standard pot. They're usually way too small or way too expensive. The best bang for your buck is to get your hands on an empty keg and have someone cut a big hole in the top of it. Then buy a "kettle conversion kit" from places like Rebel Brewer and get someone to pop a 7/8" hole in the side of it with a step drill bit to install the spigot. Review a few videos on YouTube about "keggle conversion" to get an understanding of what you're shooting for. You'll also need to fashion a dip tube out of copper tubing. Working with copper tubing and solder is not hard, and since the tubing is not going to be under pressure, you are not going to need to make perfect solders.

Invest in a turkey fryer burner and brew outside or on the back deck or in the garage.

I also would have avoided using siphoning to get the wort from the kettle to the fermenter. Just get the kettle conversion kit and be done with it.

Don't screw around with cheap hoses. You'll waste a lot of money and time. Just make a good investment now and get some quality high-temp silicone hoses (also available at Rebel Brewer). You probably won't need more than eight feet of 1/2" ID high-temp silicone tubing ever. It's only about $2.30 per foot.

You're going to need a good dependable thermometer. You can buy dependable digital stick thermometers (CDN DTQ450X ProAccurate Quick-Read Thermometer) from Amazon for about 11 bucks. You'll also need a hydromometer and hydrometer tube to take the readings in. There's a thing called a wine thief that lets you suck up a sample and lets you drop the hydrometer into the wine thief to take a reading. Then you can drain the test sample into a glass to take a taste test. Mmm! Flat beer! But oh so tasty.

Chilling the wort is another big consideration. If I could do it all over again I would have skipped the $100 counterflow chiller that clogs with the slightest amount of hop material and instead would have spent $40 on making a counterflow chiller from a garden hose and some 3/8" copper tubing that is a lot harder to clog. There are many videos on how to make these online as well.

I don't think I'd waste any money on carboys and instead I would have invested my money in corny kegs to use as fermenters AND as kegs for the finished product, once I got into kegging. But for your first few batches you can go really cheap and just get a food-grade bucket for fermenting and a bottling bucket for bottling.

Sanitizers: Star-San is the way to go. Just be sure to use Star-San with distilled water. It will last a lot longer. Don't fear the foam! Read up on a number of threads in here about Star-San.

Let your beer stay in the fermentation chamber for a long time. Your beer can stay in there for a ridiculously long time before you bottle it, and while it's in there, the better tasting and clearer your beer will be. Search these threads for examples of how long people let their beer sit in their fermenters before they bottle or keg. Your patience will be rewarded.

While at the local home brew store, check and see if they have any swing-top bottles. While not a necessity, they are a very nice luxury. Much better than capping. A lot of people worry about never getting the bottles back from friends and family when giving away homebrew beer, but surprisingly, 98% of our bottles come back to us (with requests for more beer, of course).

But most importantly, relax. It's surprisingly hard to really screw up a home brew. And after everything is said and done, YOU HAVE MADE BEER. It probably won't be as good as an $8 craft brew you can buy in a store, but it will beat the pants off of any regular domestic beer you will ever have. Being able to make your own beer is right up there with making a human being in the Importance of Humanity Scale.

And find a friend or two to brew with. Unless you like drinking alone and doing a crapload of dishes alone. I don't.

Back