Making a cold room.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kserfass

Reaction score
Hey,

I live in a tiny apartment in Brooklyn and have a small unused bathroom that I have been fermenting in. During the winter I would keep the window open and use a fermwrap heater with a ranco temp controller to control temps. I want to keep the temperatures low in a similar way in the Summer for fermenting but the room only has a small window (~6"x8") so a window A/C unit is out of the question. I also can't really insulate the room because I don't own the apt and it would be really hard to do so because of the shower.

My question: is there an option for cooling a small room not using a window A/C unit? Could I run a window A/C unit not in a window? Are there cheap freestanding A/C units that anyone can recommend?

The reason to put a window unit in the window is the exchange of heat. You need to dump the heat somewhere. If you are running AC and dumping heat indoors that won't be fun in the summer

There are freestanding AC units, that you can run flexible ducting out your small window, although they are not very cheap the last I had looked.

How many carboys/buckets at a time are you talking? You could build a ferm chamber that extends off the front of a mini-fridge, lots of people here have done it. I have one in my bar downstairs - see link in my sig for details. I use it as a kegerator not ferm chamber, but same principle.

There are freestanding AC units, that you can run flexible ducting out your small window, although they are not very cheap the last I had looked.

They are pricey, but they do throw the cold air. I have one I need to sell, too bad the OP is out of the area, they are HEAVY.

You have to have someway to drain the condensed water too. But being in a bathroom, that should not pose a problem.

Try watching CL for one, or google "ductless air conditioning".

Hey,

I live in a tiny apartment in Brooklyn and have a small unused bathroom that I have been fermenting in. During the winter I would keep the window open and use a fermwrap heater with a ranco temp controller to control temps. I want to keep the temperatures low in a similar way in the Summer for fermenting but the room only has a small window (~6"x8") so a window A/C unit is out of the question. I also can't really insulate the room because I don't own the apt and it would be really hard to do so because of the shower.

My question: is there an option for cooling a small room not using a window A/C unit? Could I run a window A/C unit not in a window? Are there cheap freestanding A/C units that anyone can recommend?

It may be cheaper and more efficient to build a small wooden box that you can drop ice packs and frozen bottles of water etc. into. I've owned the indoor A/C unit, and I found that it was a PITA, primarily because they all require some way to get rid of condensation. Without a special pump for it, your system will shut of rather quickly, given how humid it is in NYC in the summer. An insulated box, on the other hand, can be had/made for a lot less than an AC, and it's not likely to trip any breakers or break down on you.

Back