American IPA Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery_BreweryNJ

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65F
Tasting Notes
Slight Bitterness with loads of Melon/Citrus Aroma.
Grains
11.25 lb Pale Ale Malt
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.75 lb Caramunich Malt
0.50 lb Honey Malt

Hops
0.75 oz Citra [14.00 %] 60
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] 10
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] 5
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] 1
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] Dry
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet 10

1 Pkgs Safale American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)

Single Infusion Mash: 154 for 60min

Added 2oz of whole leaf Simcoe into secondary for 14 days, then Kegged.

I'll post a picture soon.

I was wondering how this recipe turned out and was there anyone else who has tried it?

Not exactely that recipe but this extract version below, came out fantastic. Great aroma from this beer.

6.0 lbs Extra light Malt Extract
1.0 lbs. 2-row
0.5 lbs Crystal 60
1.0 oz Centennial
1.0 oz Citra (flavor)
1.0 oz Citra (aroma)
1.0 oz Citra (dry hop)
1 US-5

I brewed this a few months ago and it turned out great. People are asking for this one again. Will be brewing again within a month. I have learned I love Citra!

Happy Brewing fellow New Englander!!! Personally, I'd dry hop Citra too, they smell awesome!!!! And dry hop mine with Citra all of time!!! Citra Citra Citra...though the pellets are getting hard to come by as of late. I bought 4oz online about a month ago. Now I haven't been able to find em.

Happy Brewing fellow New Englander!!! Personally, I'd dry hop Citra too, they smell awesome!!!! And dry hop mine with Citra all of time!!! Citra Citra Citra...though the pellets are getting hard to come by as of late. I bought 4oz online about a month ago. Now I haven't been able to find em.

Read my mind :)

DUl7v.png

I have Simcoe but gonna keep this one straight Citra.

Grains
11.25 lb Pale Ale Malt
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.75 lb Caramunich Malt
0.50 lb Honey Malt

Hops
0.75 oz Citra [14.00 %] 60
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] 10
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] 5
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] 1
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] Dry
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet 10

1 Pkgs Safale American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)

Single Infusion Mash: 154 for 60min

Added 2oz of whole leaf Simcoe into secondary for 14 days, then Kegged.

I'll post a picture soon.

Hey Battery, I brewed your recipe up this past Sunday. I up'ed the grain bill about 30% and up'ed the hops a little bit to get a bigger IPA (http://hopville.com/recipe/1651514), but I just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. I just sampled the beer (it is currently sitting at 1.032 down from 1.068), and it tasted AMAZING; the citra hops are really freaking tropical tasting. My LHBS only had citra in whole leaf when I wanted pellet, however I am just so pleased with how it has turned out thus far. I can tell this is going to be a winner!

Just curious, with all of the cara malts, what was your FG for this beer? That's the only thing I'm a little worried about, but not so much.

Thanks once again.

HOLY COW THIS RECIPE IS FREAKING AWESOME. I just drank my first bottle of it. It has been exactly a month ago since I brewed this beer, so talk about being fresh. I only did a 2-week fermentation, 11-day dry hop in the secondary, and now this bottle has only been bottled for 4 days. Citra is off the hook! I threw in a couple more 1 oz hop additions of citra as well as made a bigger gravity beer, so here's my recipe, the malt bill is the same ratio wise www.hopville.com/recipe/1651514

Here's a pic:

citra.jpg

This beer was amazing! I used straight Citra and it came out amazing. Definitely going to be brewing this one again

I brewed this last weekend per the initial recipe subbing out some bottle cultured pac-man for the yeast. Hit 1.066 with 4.5 gallons in the carboy.

Smelled like a citra bomb exploded in my kitchen! I cant wait till this one is ready to drink.

This recipe looks great, I'm gonna try it. Is this assuming a 5 gallon batch?

Edit: what are the targets for OG, FG, and ibu?

I brewed something like this this morning. I originally intended to do a SMaSH but added a little C20.

So you guys that are using all Citra. Your not getting a "cat piss" or "cat spray" aroma that comes off it? I have tried several beers that have come into the store from several different brewers and have found that all of them that over used Citra had that "cat piss" aroma.
I ask because I wonder if it's just me and my nose?

Jay

I've made 2 different batches.
One using Citra itself, and one using all Citra except at 5min and flameout was half Citra half Cascade.
Both of those beers smelled like cat piss.
I was told that it was when the Citra was harvested.
Idk about that, but I will not use Citra to bitter at all anymore. When I use it as a late addition ONLY, I don't get that at all. Same bag of hops that I split up and sealed myself before throwing them in the freezer.

I dont usually like IPA's but after reading this my mouth watered :cross: so I think I may just jump on this .. Thanks :mug:

The so called Cat piss smell is because all you are using (or they are using ) is Citra, if you balance the Citra with the Simcoe all that will be cleared.

Great beers are better when balanced well

So you guys that are using all Citra. Your not getting a "cat piss" or "cat spray" aroma that comes off it? I have tried several beers that have come into the store from several different brewers and have found that all of them that over used Citra had that "cat piss" aroma.
I ask because I wonder if it's just me and my nose?

Jay

I brewed up a Citra ipa. I used magnum for 60 then I believe I added Citra every 15 minutes after that and dry hopped. I just now cracked the first bottle and I'm not getting any cat pee aromas from this brew. I'm so impressed I think I will brew it again, since I only did a 1 gal batch and I can now do 5 gal brews.

It really needs to be called tropica...dry hopped with two ounces of citra in my imperial IPA and way too over powering tropical fruits, probably wouldn't use it again.

The so called Cat piss smell is because all you are using (or they are using ) is Citra, if you balance the Citra with the Simcoe all that will be cleared.

My All Citra IPA I just finished a week or two ago does not have a cat piss smell either.

It smells like heaven and those who have tried it think it is excellent as well.

brewed a similar brew a few times i adjusted hops, hop times and didn't dry hop. Some how i only ever come up with an OG of 1.045 to 1.05 not sure why none of my other brews have lower OGs than i aim for, beer tastes great every time just looking for a 6.5% alcohol content instead of 5%. Any suggestions?

i also adjusted the hops a little bit to include a bit more citra flavor. and i sued san diego super yeast. turned out great! im gonna use this as a base for developing my own hop bill.

successful citra beer.png

the so called cat piss smell is because all you are using (or they are using ) is citra, if you balance the citra with the simcoe all that will be cleared.

i have hear that beers that have heavy use of simcoe and citra hops taste like cat piss to people. This is not the case with me... Or otherwise id have a ton of cats

I went the other way with one of my recipes, and made a slightly less hoppy APA. I used a combination of Citra and Cascade, and the result was AWESOME. I did 2 doses of Cascade - 1 oz. @ 60min., 1 oz. @ 20min. - and 2 doses of Citra - 1oz @ 5 min., 1/2 oz. dry hop (next time I'll dry hope a full ounce).

The Cascade gave a very nice, mellow bitterness to it, and the Citra? Well, as you already know, the Citra just tied the whole thing together. Fine choice!

This recipe is very similar to my recent brew, save I had heard that citra with Amarillo is awesome. They were not lying. It is now a staple on my tapper board. I kind of Frankenbrewed it with the grain bill to use up stuff that I had but I think the complex grain bill added backbone for that glorious hops muscle to work. Here it is
5.75 lbs. Golden Promise
7.5 lbs. 2 row
.75 lbs. cara/pils dexatrine
1 lbs. munich
1 lbs. White wheat malt
.75 lbs. honey malt
1 lbs crystal malt 40L
1.0 oz Nugget (60 min)
1.0 oz Citra (30 min)
1.0 oz Citra (15 min)
1.0 oz Citra (10 min)
1.0 oz Citra (5 min)
1.0 oz Citra and 1.0 0z Amarillo (0 min)
1.0 oz Citra and 1.0 0z Amarillo dry hop ( 12 days)
1.0 oz Citra and 1.0 0z Amarillo dry hop (9 days)
Nottingham dry yeast
1/2 tsp. irish moss 10 min
1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient last 10 min of boil

The nose on this beer is amazing. It is a tad strong in the ABV. probably a double or imperial, but when you wake up you will still remember how delicious it is.

Thanks for the recipe, this turned out great ! we just dry hopped one week ( the last week in the secondary ) we will be making this for our wedding :)

Anyone have an opinion on how this recipe (original post) would turn out with 1 lb of unpasteurized honey added at secondary? Would the results be primarily aromatic or flavoring or both? I'm sort of new at this and starting to try out experimentation. I was considering splitting a 5 gal batch of this and adding 1/2 lb to one half. Thanks!

I've used honey MALT with citra, and they complimented each other very well. The only experience I have with honey was in a porter, so I'm not sure how it would work in a lighter beer. My guess would be that it would be real tasty with subtle aromatics and a lingering honey taste. Again, I really recommend using honey malt. It leaves a more...I don't know, authentic honey taste without the lingering sweetness.

Yeah, I've read that also. I'm planning to use 1/2 lb more honey malt than the recipe calls for already. Just hoping to give it a touch more honey taste and aroma. I'll update when is done if you're interested. Thanks for your input!

Oh...oh I'm interested. How much Honey Malt do you plan to use? The most I've ever used is .5 lbs. but I've always wanted to use .75-1 pound.

I'm going to use 1 lb of honey malt for the five gal. After splitting (2.5/2.5) I'll add 1/2 lb of actually honey when I rack to secondary.

Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottled: Maple Bacon Smoked Red Ale
On Deck: maybe a good IPA...?

Just cracked open a bottle of this on Sunday. A+++ It was my first all grain batch :ban: (3rd overall) and I'm very pleased. My first two extract brews were a Dunkel and a Chocolate Milk Stout so this was obviously my first experience with the Citra. Also since my LHBS didn't have the Simcoe in stock I dry hopped with Amarillo. I love the citrus smell (I get a lot of pineapple). I was a little under on the OG (1.045) but my newbie tongue can't tell the difference. I'll be brewing this again in the future! Great recipe.

I went the other way with one of my recipes, and made a slightly less hoppy APA. I used a combination of Citra and Cascade, and the result was AWESOME. I did 2 doses of Cascade - 1 oz. @ 60min., 1 oz. @ 20min. - and 2 doses of Citra - 1oz @ 5 min., 1/2 oz. dry hop (next time I'll dry hope a full ounce).

The Cascade gave a very nice, mellow bitterness to it, and the Citra? Well, as you already know, the Citra just tied the whole thing together. Fine choice!

this is exatly what i am going to do with my left over citra and cascade hops :rockin:

Back