Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
85.9 lbs of boston butt went in around midnight last night...

And a 4" full size hotel pan of smoked beans

IMG_0616.jpg

As I type this, I've got two half-racks of baby back ribs in the smoker. And the two fist-size chunks of hickory on the charcoal really smells good!

glenn514:mug:

Ideas? I've never cooked lamb before, much less smoked it...

A friend of mine and I smoked a whole bone-in lamb leg a little while ago. Smoked it around 215-220 with a little hickory. Turned out great. Had it with some Tzatziki.

It's very lean so be careful as it will dry out in no time at all.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400406298.749296.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400406364.077906.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home

I smoked 10 lbs of pork belly last night. On the left is 4lbs of pepper bacon, on the right is 6 lbs that was in a standard salt/sugar cure with 2 cups of maple syrup that was aged in a rye whiskey barrel. Getting sliced up tonight!

14+-+1

Johnny,

Yep. Cheese!!! They go great by themselves or in spaghetti with the left overs. They are Remmy's recipe. He's on here as well.

http://remmysque.blogspot.com/2012/02/smoked-meatballs.html?m=1

Deacon.

I wish I had never known about this website. Remmy has a review of NC BBQ (The Pit in Raleigh--don't eat there, it's horrible) where he complains that there is no brisket on the menu. That sounds like yankee talk to me. The only menu choice you might need to make in NC is whether you want your pig sliced, pulled, or chopped, and whether you want it on a bun or a plate.

I respect Remmy, but he should have done just a modicum of research. At least then he wouldn't have been stuck trying to get through a meal in a place I am frankly surprised is still open for business since the last time I ate there 15+ years ago.

Taking tomorrow off for my birthday. Thinking about smoking something. Not sure what yet. Have to visit the store and see what's available. I should run to Custer and pick up a beef tongue. The family will freak out.

This is my first (unintentional) hot and fast pork butt. I was working on a Weber Kettle with a deformed lid and I couldn't get it under 300 so I kept it at 325. Smoked for just over 5:30 hours.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400960060.695357.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400960087.859531.jpg

Go home Remmy, you're drunk. :p

I have a 4 lb pork butt for Monday. Never smoked anything by myself so I'm weirdly nervous. This thread gave me a craving.

I'm laughing my ass off reading this. Holy wrong thread last night. Sorry about that.

I dont have one but use a buddies all the time and it is amazing. I will be buying one asap when the budget allows.

How does the taste compare? I was looking at the hopper assembly and ring for the 18" WSM from Smoke Daddy. Looks like a pretty good unit.

I havent seen that unit but taste is very similar. Wood obviously has a little heavy smoke flavor but there is still a noticeable smoke flavor with pellet smokers.

Let me know what you think of the pellet smoker. I'm very curious about them.

So far so good. Still have a few more hours to go (in the stall), but you gotta love the "set a temperature and walk away" feature. No adding coals, no worries about the wind/ambient temp. I'm now officially spoiled....

So far so good. Still have a few more hours to go (in the stall), but you gotta love the "set a temperature and walk away" feature. No adding coals, no worries about the wind/ambient temp. I'm now officially spoiled....

What rate do you burn pellets? I have read around 1lb/hr at 225 is about normal

here is the pellet consumption specs for my Memphis Select. I get pellets for as low as $12/33lb.

Pellet%20Consumption%20Chart.jpg

Thanks. That usage is not bad at all. ~3-4 cooks with medium sized cuts of meat of 8-9 hrs. Hmmmmm...... About. To. Hit. Order.

I'm smoking 4 slabs of St. Louis style ribs tomorrow I'm using a Brinkman electric smoker what temp do you guys smoke at and how long do you smoke for?

Sirloin tip steaks in the pit today;

Sweet onion & mushroom steak sauce with ESB reduction;

BBQ Beef...it's what's for dinner!!:mug: Washed down with a Founder's Centennial IPA,of course.

I'm smoking 4 slabs of St. Louis style ribs tomorrow I'm using a Brinkman electric smoker what temp do you guys smoke at and how long do you smoke for?

I smoke at 225.

St Louis I usually do the 3-2-1, as my family prefers "fall off the bone" tender. For baby back I do 2-2-1...

Doing 3 slabs of baby backs myself tomorrow.

Oh yum! I've always wanted to pit BBQ one of those. I was never able to get the guy that used to own the buffalo farm in Medina to let go of the ribs & hump. The hump would've been great that way,trust me!

4 hours in. 4.3 #
Not terrible I think for a first time solo smoking.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401120320.160759.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401120339.905124.jpg
It'll be done earlier than expected I think. I'm finishing up mashing in on my imperial stout as well.

Back