How long to ferment dunkelweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDuderino

Reaction score
I usually leave my beers on the yeast for three weeks before bottling or kegging, but my last beer was a 1.040 speed beer which went from grain to glass in a week and it was really good.

This has got me wondering how long weizens are usually fermented, as I know its a style that is quaffed fresh. I am considering fermenting my 1.055 dunkelweizen for two instead of three weeks and then bottling, where it will condition in the bottle for a week or two as well. Thanks for any feedback...

Here's the recipe:
5.5 Gallons
-----------
Wheat 7.5# 58.8%
Munich Dark 5# 39.2%
Chocolate wheat malt .25# 2%

Mt Hood 4.6AA .75oz 60min
Mt Hood 4.6AA .25oz 30min

Fermenting at 68^ on wyeast 3068

OG 1.055
IBU 14
SRM 17

Looking over your recipe... I have a problem with your fermentation temp... Thats high if thats going to be your ambient temp... you really should ferment at 60-64*F... It will most likely finish fermentation in about 10 days, but just go by visual first and then take Hydro readings... Your best bet is to wait at least 10 days, then check by reading... Don't go by airlock activity.

I have a problem with your fermentation temp... Thats high if thats going to be your ambient temp... you really should ferment at 60-64*F...

I should have made that clearer... I have the fermenter in water with a shirt on it and a fan because the room is 70-71 degrees. I am going by the thermometer strip on the side of my fermenter, so that is hopefully the wort temp, not ambient temp.

Thanks for the advice!

Back