Uses for WLP500

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am really, really starting to love WLP500. I recently fermented a 1.063 OG belgian farmhouse style ale at 65 degrees and it finished at 1.010....I just let it sit there. It tastes great, not to "belgiany" but it does have just a bit of yeast fruit/spice flavor. Very nice.

I am now wondering, with it's fantastic attenuation capabality, especially if you warm it up near the end, what are some other good applications outside of belgian ales for this strain?

How about barley wine?

IMHO WLP500 is way fruity and phenolic for anything not Belgiany. I love WLP500 for belgian beers like dubbles and tripples but not for a barley wine. Perhaps it could make a hefeweizen.

WLP001 has about the same attenuation and is much cleaner. I'd recommend that for a barley wine. If you want better attenuation mash at a lower temp and/or swap out some malt for simple sugar.

I disagree. A guy at my local homebrew club made an Imperial Stout with WLP500 that I was fortunate enough to try last winter. The "Belgiany" flavors and aroma added a nice depth to that beer. The spiciness played well with the smoky, roasted malt flavors.

I've never heard of a Belgian barleywine. That's reason enough to try it, in my experience... looks like I've got something to brew in October. Good luck!

I have had good belgian ipa before. Really, nice. Pacman is my house yeast, but wlp 500 attenuates more i think. Lets throw out a recipe...belgian imp stout
10# pilsen
5# two row
1#special b
1# roasted barley
1/2 pound aromatic
1/2 pound caramunich
1 oz magnum @90
1 oz willamete at 20
1 oz willamette at 10
1 oz willamette at 5
1 oz chinook at fo
1 pound amber invert sugar
Wlp 500
Mash 150 deg

I have had good belgian ipa before. Really, nice. Pacman is my house yeast, but wlp 500 attenuates more i think. Lets throw out a recipe...belgian imp stout
10# pilsen
5# two row
1#special b
1# roasted barley
1/2 pound aromatic
1/2 pound caramunich
1 oz magnum @90
1 oz willamete at 20
1 oz willamette at 10
1 oz willamette at 5
1 oz chinook at fo
1 pound amber invert sugar
Wlp 500
Mash 150 deg

I've had a Imperial belgian stout from Weyerbacher in a 750 ml bomber. It rang in around 13% I believe. Can't remember the name of the brew but it was freakin' delicious. It was bottle conditioned and had tons of yeast sediment on the bottom. The styles blend really well actually...If done correctly.

Back