what beers for a black and tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to Guinness and Bass... Right now I am using my Karankawa Pale Ale + Guinness Clone Irish Stout. It is quite tasty.

commercial - would like to use pretty good beers regardless of cost but really just looking for whatever is best.

For a Black and Tan: Bass on the bottom, Guinness Draught on top. I should have homebrewed ESB and Stout ready soon, will have to try them together.

For a Half and Half: Harp Lager on the bottom, Guinness Draught on top.

For a Black and Tan: Bass on the bottom, Guinness Draught on top. I should have homebrewed ESB and Stout ready soon, will have to try them together.

For a Half and Half: Harp Lager on the bottom, Guinness Draught on top.

And for a Snakebite, Strongbow Cider on the bottom, Guinness Draught on top.

Aspall's better than Strongbow, but I can't bring myself to mix it.

Used to be Guinness and Harps, but I don't care for Guinness anymore. One of the local bars has Young's double chocolate on tap. I may have to try some black and tan combos with that.

i guess i am going to try the bass pale ale and guinness although i wouldnt mind a combo of better beers regardless of price.

I like a dirty hippie...Guinness and sweetwater 420 on the bottom!!!!
Black Magic Guinness with Magic hat #9 on the bottom!!!

both good.

Gotta try a dirty hippie. LOL

Guinness and Blue Moon is a favorite of mine. aka Full Moon aka Dark Side of the Moon aka Black and Blue.
Hefe's substitute pretty well also.

When I go out, I don't typically have black and tans, but right now I have Ed's Haus on and O' Flan's standard on tap, so naturally I'm making some black and tans. I must admit, this stuff is quite tasty, but I can't really do a perfect pour. It's probably got to do with the fact I'm pouring at 12 psi. If I was serving at 5, I could pour a wicket black and tan.

Black & Tan- Murphy's Irish Stout & Bass
Black & Cherry- Stout & Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Black & Berry- Stout & Longtrail Blackberry Wheat
Black & Velvet- Stout & Cider
Holy Mole- Rogue Chocolate Stout & Rogue Chipotle Ale (mmm... good)

i've done a boat load of half & half's w/ chocolate stouts & fruit beers.

hey thanks guys. all sound tasty . had my first black and tan today believe it or not using bass and guinness - it was alright - i think i would really like some of these others you have posted.

The Black and Tans were groups of English soldiers from WWI that were sent to Ireland as goon squads to harrass to Irish and root out the rebels. They wore part of their English uniform with black, thus the name. So, traditionally, a black and tan is an Irish and English mix (Guiness&Bass). Guiness &{arp is a half and half: Irish + Irish.

The Black and Tans were groups of English soldiers from WWI that were sent to Ireland as goon squads to harrass to Irish and root out the rebels. They wore part of their English uniform with black, thus the name. So, traditionally, a black and tan is an Irish and English mix (Guiness&Bass). Guiness &{arp is a half and half: Irish + Irish.

The drink name "black and tan" for a layered bitter+stout goes back at least to 1889, which predates the paramilitary group by a couple of decades; the modern belief that the drink name is a reference to the goon squad is incorrect.

A half and half in Ireland is traditionally 1/2 refrigerated Guinness and 1/2 room temp Guinness, though in more recent years it primarily refers to Guinness + Harp.

I tend to enjoy a "Black and Blue" as well. Guinness and Blue Moon. It is better than you may think.

Smithwick's and Guinness, I hear this is what you get when you order a black and tan in Ireland. It's delicious :drunk:

The local pubs back home call that a Blacksmith. It's very tasty. Quite possibly my favorite barley beverage. When I get home and build my keezer, I will have both beers on tap just so I can pour myself Blacksmiths all the time :mug:

I tend to enjoy a "Black and Blue" as well. Guinness and Blue Moon. It is better than you may think.

I sometimes do this during Sundays for Carolina Panthers games (their colors are black and blue, naturally).

Been thinking about stepping it up and trying some different combos. Maybe like Old Rasputin over a blueberry beer? I don't want to ruin my Old Rasputin, though.

Also, not sure of the differences in density there.

Has anyone tried a commercial black and tan that was pre-mixed, Im pretty sure Saranac and Yuengling make them? I was thinking of trying to make my own spin on it.

The one that Yuengling makes is awesome IMHO, I drink those all the time. Guinness and Bass is still the best combo though. And Black Castles rock. Might have to try the Smithwick's and Guinness some time.

i have a chocolate cream stout thats ready and i have a smithwicks clone that will be ready on 4/20. cant wait to try the two together

Has anyone tried a commercial black and tan that was pre-mixed, Im pretty sure Saranac and Yuengling make them? I was thinking of trying to make my own spin on it.

I bought a sixer of Mississippi Mud, once. Don't judge it by the kitschy bottle. It was actually pretty good and drinking all six will get you pretty drunk.

It's not nearly as fun as drinking a six pack of Guinness and a six pack of Smithwick's, then claiming to have only had 6 Blacksmith's :mug:

Bringing this thread up for St Patty's Day. I also have been wanting to try different variations of black and tans. I've had all the usual suspects plus the normal variations (NewCastle, Blue Moon, etc.)

I have a few this year that I'm going to mix up and see how I like them. Here are some that I have lined up:

Stone Russian Imperial Stout on RedChair
HomeBrewed RIS on Homebrewed Sumpin Sumpin Clone
Guinness Extra Stout on SNPA
GES on RedChair

I also have Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout and Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer but would hate to mix them with anything...I may just for the experiments sake.

Disclaimer: I only do this for theory, not because I love beer and am half Irish.

I had GES on my sumpin sumpin clone last night and it was awesome. Think I'm going to try a Kwaanza tonight as well as a black and red chair.

At a place I frequent, they have what they call a Gravedigger. Its Guinness on top and Resurrection (a Belgian dubbel) on the bottom. Tasty!

Well I tried several combinations. Guinness on my sumpin sumpin clone, Kwaanza, Black Chair, Black Sierra, Sam Smiths Black Sierra, and Smiths Black Rye PA. My favorite was the Sam Smiths on SNP. Delicious.

This weekend I was pouring a sort of black and red. Murphy's on top of Elliot Ness.

It was okay, but not a great match. Didn't love it.

Back