Aging vs. Chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesweetlycool

Reaction score
Something I have not been able to find searching the forums is what chilling actually does in the aging process. I heard somewhere that putting bottles in the fridge will stop the aging process but will help to settle out chill haze over time. Also, since Kegs need to be chilled before carbing, will this chill halt the aging process and so carbing should not be done until close to the time you plan to drink it?

I just need someone to clarify this for me. Because I know you can age cold, "lagering" but will ales age cold the same way?

I think chilling is a type of aging, and with an ale yeast aging at room temperature is more for getting the taste we want and chilling more for clearing the beer.

Will the beer continue to condition when chilled? If the beer tastes too "green" will this flavor filter out like it does when cellar aged?

It still conditions chilled just much slower.

I never chill bottles down until they are at their prime to drink. I also never chill kegs down until they are ready to drink but I natural carb my kegs so by the time they are carbed up, they are also aged to their prime.

You don't need to chill the beer in order to force carb in a keg. Sure it's nice to but since I moved I haven't been able to cold crash. So I just adjusted my PSI with one of those carb charts for the higher temp. I think I had it cranked up to 25-28 PSI for a couple weeks at room temp.

Back