How to Increase OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjt_71

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently did a SNPA-like extract recipe and had some questions on OG.
The OG was 1.048. I was hoping for something around 1.050 or a little higher even. Sierra Nevada's website states that SNPA is 13.1 deg. Plato, which is around 1.053.

I used 6.6 lbs Briess Light LME. How would one go about increasing the OG on a brew like this? My brew should end up about 4.8-5.0% ABV. A little low but not too bad. My thought was to switch to using a Briess Pilsen DME at maybe 7-7.5 lbs. It would help lighten the color a little too. Anyone have any thoughts?

You could throw in a little DME. Missing by 2-3 points is not a big deal. I'd RDWHAHB. You can also add just a touch of sugar or honey. It will boost the OG without a change of flavor and the small amount you would need to get 2-3 points wouldnt be enough to really thin it out or affect the fermentation.

Honey is a wonderful addition to get out a couple more points in the OG without making your FG too sweet. Honey is ~96% fermentable IIRC. I prefer it to sugar when boosting the OG in extract recipes because I think it adds a little complexity and does not add as much fussel alcohols as table sugar.

I've read about adding honey to increase OG. My OG was 1.048. How much should I add to increase the OG to around 1.053? Would I add it at the beginning of the boil?

I'd add it at the end of the boil personally. You can use any number of online calculators to figure out how much you need. I'm not at my home computer otherwise I'd plug it into beersmith real quick.

I've read about adding honey to increase OG. My OG was 1.048. How much should I add to increase the OG to around 1.053? Would I add it at the beginning of the boil?

yes use a calculator or wait for someone to answer you... and since I like math problems... :p

honey is 35 pppg - so assuming a 5 gallon batch, 1 lb of honey will add 7 points, you want 4 or 5 (or 2). so for 4 points, you want a little over 8oz maybe 9 or 10oz...

If you are using DME, then about 1/2 lb again DME is 45 pppg or 9 points per pound in a 5 gallon batch.

yes use a calculator or wait for someone to answer you... and since I like math problems... :p

honey is 35 pppg - so assuming a 5 gallon batch, 1 lb of honey will add 7 points, you want 4 or 5 (or 2). so for 4 points, you want a little over 8oz maybe 9 or 10oz...

If you are using DME, then about 1/2 lb again DME is 45 pppg or 9 points per pound in a 5 gallon batch.

This.

I usually add honey in the last 15 minutes of the boil. It is a great way to dry out mid to high gravity extract brews.

Thanks, AC! I clicked this thread because I had this very question. Want to up the OG to increase ACV and this told me how much to use. Carry on... :p

Just to be silly I put an extra 1 lb DME and 1/2 lb of table sugar to the original ingredients list in my silly scottish ale. Kicks up a lame 60 shilling 3% scottish to about 5%. Toss in some cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon and it's a dee lish beer and for less than $22.

A nice option is to just reduce your batch size a bit (w/o changing your grain bill), thereby you don't have to factor in some fraction of another bag of DME or can of LME.

I like the idea of adding a bit of honey. I'm wondering what kind of flavors 8 oz's honey would impart on a pale ale? I can imagine it would be a very tasty addition to an ESB or brown ale. Can't wait for the next batch! Although my wife is interested in a Belgian pale ale at the moment. Anyone have a good Belgian pale ale extract recipe?

I like the idea of adding a bit of honey. I'm wondering what kind of flavors 8 oz's honey would impart on a pale ale? I can imagine it would be a very tasty addition to an ESB or brown ale. Can't wait for the next batch! Although my wife is interested in a Belgian pale ale at the moment. Anyone have a good Belgian pale ale extract recipe?

8oz, or any amount of honey will be barely noticeable at all since it is ~96% fermentable. It will not leave ANY sweetness to your finished product. If you are looking to add a lasting honey sweetness, throw in 8oz of Honey Malt with your steeping grains.

Here is a decent Belgian Pale base recipe that I've used to experiment with different yeasts:

6lbs Light LME
8oz Aromatic
8oz Carapils
2lbs Honey @15 min

1oz Vangaud @60 min
1oz Halertaur @10 min

Pitch with two packs of whatever Belgian yeast interests you most. I've done this with WLP500, Wyeast 3787, and Wyeast 3522. I think I prefer 3522. There are several others out there that I have not tried with this recipe also. Check out Wyeast's website for more ideas.

Back