american wheat beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonarek

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions / thoughts on this recipe? Looking for an easy brew, relatively short time brew to glass, minimal esters (i don't like banana really), and I will probably zest a lemon or two to add at the end of the boil. Thanks! :)

No mash

3 lbs light DME
3 lbs wheat DME
5 oz C10 (steep)
4 oz carapils (steep)

1 oz Willamette hops 50 min
1 oz Saaz hops 10 min
1 oz Moteuka hops at FO

Wyeast Labs #1010 yeast

Per BeerSmith for my 4.5 gal batch:
5.3 abv
17.3 ibu
6 SRM
OG 1.053
FG 1.013

Try us-05 yeast. Very clean and forgiving.

My first brew was an American Hefeweizen. When I get home from work I can post the recipe if you'd like.

Looks okay to me, though I might just go with all wheat extract as it is already a split of wheat and barley malt. I'm a fan of WY1010 for American wheats.

Thanks guys! The 05 is one of my favorite yeasts but I think I will try the 1010 for this one and just keep my ferment temps in range, will let you know how it tastes!

I did a similar beer with good results...6lbs wheat DME (55% wheat as I recall) .75 lbs c10...hops were 1oz Willamette and 1 oz cascade 20ish IBU,.....turned out clean, light, and refreshing....but it did take a bit of time (6 weeks or so) after bottling to get there......what's the purpose of carapils in a wheat though?

I was thinking carapils for head retention (foam stability) and mouthfeel? Would the C10 cover that also?

My understanding is that wheat covers the head retention.... Not sure if carapils ads much mouth feel.....my experience with wheat is that it has its own unique - soft mouth feel.

Be sure to post a pic of the hydro or finished product. I suspect with 3lbs of light DME you'll have more of a golden color as opposed to orange.

Back