TrueBrew Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
Opinions on TrueBrew beer kits...good / bad, comments, suggestions

price point is good, just wonder about the kits.

First kit I ever brewed was their Nut Brown. Didn't turn out well, but that was likely on me.

I think the first questions is, how long has the kit been sitting on the shelf? Their recipes don't looks bad from what I've seen.

Did a couple when I 1st started. My first as the "Oktoberfest" which turned out surprisingly well. I think they are OK for a starter kit but most brewers outgrow them soon.
Pros: everything is included.
Cons: 1. The kit may have been sitting on the shelf for quite awhile. The specialty grains may be stale, the extract may be old. 2. The 7gm packet Muntons yeast. Generally too small for a 5G batch, and they use it for every style. Easily remedied- buy new yeast .
3. The directions are sparse, generic, and include some outdated info(like transfer or bottle after 5-7 days). But if you've spent any time on this forum, you can counteract/supplement those directions.

My first Porter was a T-B kit and it was very good, I would make that again in all honesty (and probably will some day actually)

The kits are good. Freshness is good if there is a fairly good turn over where you buy them. Can't remember if this is the one that came with a 5 gram pack of yeast or not. Pick up your favorite 11 gram pack of yeast to use with the kit.

The instructions are very bad generic instructions no matter what the beer kit is.

Back