Anyone haerd of these new Yeasts from Mangrove Jack's (New Zealand)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up to 15% sugar or invert syrup. There's a good list of mild grain bills here:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56335

Something like this must be interesting... with a low attenuation yeast the sugar will fully turn into alcohol while a lot of the malts will retain their sweetness:

- Highgate Dark Mild
Mild Ale Malt: 70%
Maltose/Caramel Syrup: 12%
Crystal Malt: 10%
Flaked Barley: 6%
Black Malt: 2%

I didn't get the point of sugar in milds, but then it dawned on me that these many of these ales don't use high attenuation yeasts anyway.

Great, thanks. I think my recipe has mild malt, a little crystal and chocolate malt, and some flaked oats. I had a small amount of pale malt as well, but I may strike that and add the sugar instead. OG is to be at the high end of the range at 1.039 so it should be a quick turn around beer.

I think in the UK milds are a bit more loose than the traditional definition... my two local milds are 4.5% abv... but many others start at 3%!

I think in the UK milds are a bit more loose than the traditional definition... my two local milds are 4.5% abv... but many others start at 3%!
I guess I'm bridging the gap a little. Something around 4% ought to be perfect for me.

I've just put in the fermentor an American red ale with the Pacific North West yeast. OG 1.055 and hopwise: Cascade, Liberty, Cluster & Nugget.

This is fermenting very well. Started in a couple of hours, had consistent krausen the day after and really rocketed on the third day. Good aroma coming out of the airlock.

I used the Burton Union M79 strain in a N. English Brown and a Single-Hop Citra IPA. I'll report the final results. But in the brown (and I keep things cool at 68 F) it fermented good and slow, producing a sulfur smell that faded by the time it was kegged. I'm currently getting the same slow fermentation in the IPA but without the sulfur smell (it smells like citra!)

My 1.038 mild finished at 1.017 with the Newcastle Dark Ale yeast. WTF. This is annoying. I'm only having issues with the Mangrove Jack's yeast.

Recipe for 4 gallons:

4lbs Mild Malt
8oz medium cystral
8oz oats
4oz chocolate
6oz cane sugar in boil

I think I did just an ounce or so of EKGs

Shook carboy to aerate, rehydrated 1 packet of yeast at 90F. Mashed at 153 for 60 minutes.

Having bad luck with this yeast. Have a nice 2.75% abv beer on my hands.
Is mild malt less fermentable? Never brewed with it before. The only beer I've had that attenuated like it was supposed to was the Oktoberfestbier I brewed with the Boh Lager yeast.

Ouch, that's quite unlucky. Mine attenuated a bit more, but in the sense of aiming at a 4% abv beer with a regular yeast and getting a 3.6% beer in exchange!

Brewed it Wednesday of last week, just over a week. It should've reached terminal gravity by now, the krausen all dropped out. I may try rousing the yeast again, gently, with my mix stir. But not holding out much hope, just not having luck with this yeast, despite aerating with O2 (I guess this one wasn't with O2, but the others were...), rehydrating and pitching enough. Shame, shame...

My 1.038 mild finished at 1.017 with the Newcastle Dark Ale yeast. WTF. This is annoying. I'm only having issues with the Mangrove Jack's yeast.

Recipe for 4 gallons:

4lbs Mild Malt
8oz medium cystral
8oz oats
4oz chocolate
6oz cane sugar in boil

I think I did just an ounce or so of EKGs

Shook carboy to aerate, rehydrated 1 packet of yeast at 90F. Mashed at 153 for 60 minutes.

Having bad luck with this yeast. Have a nice 2.75% abv beer on my hands.
Is mild malt less fermentable? Never brewed with it before. The only beer I've had that attenuated like it was supposed to was the Oktoberfestbier I brewed with the Boh Lager yeast.

Next time try the Burton Union M79, I mashed my brown ale at 155, it started at 1.056 and finished at 1.010 (6%) abv. I aerated by vigorous stirring and rehydrated the yeast with room temp water. Fermented at 68 F for 7 days

I just used 2 packs of the West Coast (M44) in a DIPA I brewed. 1.072 OG and ran down to 1.006 in 5 days. Grist did have about 1.5% dextrose. Finished fast and clean. Couldn't be more impressed with the West Coast strain. It's predictable in the 3 beers I've used it and the results are great. Extremely hop forward strain. Love it...

Well, I'm glad you all are having luck with these yeasts. Pretty strange that I'm not. I would maybe use the Boh Lager yeast again, but I wasn't a fan of the 36 hour lag time I got from that one, either.

Wow, the Pacific North West yeast has taken my American red from 1.055 to 1.008 in five days. Good going.

Youse guys who used the Boh Lager yeast - what do you think of it? I sampled my Oktoberfest yesterday, which has been lagering for 3 weeks, and it tasted decent. Not quite what I was expecting, but someone else had mentioned that it's decidedly Czech tasting. I think I agree with that. But I plan to give it 2 to 3 more weeks before I start drinking it heavily, like October 1st maybe.

Youse guys who used the Boh Lager yeast - what do you think of it? I sampled my Oktoberfest yesterday, which has been lagering for 3 weeks, and it tasted decent. Not quite what I was expecting, but someone else had mentioned that it's decidedly Czech tasting. I think I agree with that. But I plan to give it 2 to 3 more weeks before I start drinking it heavily, like October 1st maybe.

It made a really nice BoPils for me. My helles fermented with it is crisping up pretty good after 7 weeks in the keg but is not German lager clean. I fermented my house lager with it and it's OK but not as good as W34/70 with the same recipe.

This yeast really needs to be gelled out. It has a distinctive flavor that will overwhelm a delicate lager. Definitely Czech in origin. I gel anything fermented with it.

I don't think it needs fined, it's pretty clear, even after 3 weeks cold. Not as clear as something like Paulaner Ofest yet, but fairly clear.
I'm not sure I'll stick with using theses yeasts anymore. I pitched the slurry from the ofest into a schwarzbier this morning, that ought to be nice.
Maybe I just need to give the ofest more time, I was sampling it pretty young.

"Mangrove Jack".

Really?

These guys should have consulted with a marketing guru before going with that name.

Kinda like "Belma" hops.

Just not feelin' it. At all...:drunk:

Cheers!

To me, it sound like it should be chain restaurant that only pops up in tourist spots

Inorite? They should have come up with a name that makes sense. Something like...I don't know...how about CatShark Skull, or maybe Dogfish Head?

Right...it's just yeast, use it or not, the name doesn't matter.

Upon repitching of my Boh lager yeast from my ofest into a schwarzbier, I had maybe an inch and a half of krausen and active fermentation 8 hours later. I might've over pitched a little...
Got it fermentating at 54F, started it at about 50 or so.

I decided to keg my mild, it wasn't budging. It finished at 1.016 from 1.038. LAME. 2.8% abv! Whooo!!! Tasted fine at kegging though, certainly the lowest abv beer I've ever brewed. Saved the yeast for an oatmeal stout I plan to brew soon. If that one finished at 1.016, I'd be just fine with that.

@ Beersk: Hey, what was your OG,FG mash temp and lbs of crystal(recipe link would be cool) on the O'fest? Just curious if the high FG is typical of M84.

Still waiting on drinking it. I have 5 bottles of the O-fest submitted to two comps that both judge Saturday, although it's still slightly young, so we'll see how it does there.

I'm planning on holding off most sampling of this and my schwarzbier that was pitched on the cake until the first week of October.

^Yesssss! Seriously though, my brown ale came out great. For those who like English ales, Burton Union is worth a try

@ Beersk: Hey, what was your OG,FG mash temp and lbs of crystal(recipe link would be cool) on the O'fest? Just curious if the high FG is typical of M84.

Off memory here:

4 gallons
3lbs Best Malz pilsner
3lbs Bonlander Munich
2lbs Vienna
.5lb Caramunich III (55L)
.25lb Melanoiden
1oz mittelfruh 60min
1oz mittelfruh 10min (I think)
2 packets rehydrated M84

I think I opted not to do a decoction or step mash on this one, not sure why. I've been doing hochkurz step mashes lately.
But I think I mashed at 154F for 90 minutes, boiled for 90.

OG was 1.056, FG was 1.014, came out to be 5.6%, which was perfect. Initial tastes after 3 weeks lagering was OKAY, not great, but not bad. The bonlander munich is pretty dominant in the flavor; not bad, but wish I got more of the vienna and pilsner. Maybe it just needs more time cold. Plan to start drinking it around the first of October, which will have been 6 weeks lagering time.

That's funny bwarbiany, I used the yeast cake for a schwarzbier as well. Hope it's good...

Harvested M-84 Bohemian Lager yeast:

On Wednesday I pitched 3rd gen harvested yeast into my 4th batch with this yeast. It's a 7 gallon batch of German IPL, 1.066 OG. I finished brewday, drew off 1 gallon of wort and quickly chilled it to 52F, pitched 200ml of clean slurry to it with DAP and yeast energizer and placed it in my kegorator set at 50F.

Put the rest of the wort in my ferm chamber for an overnight chill. The next day, the starter beer was going balls-out. I pitched it into the rest of the 45F wort. It's fermenting strong at 49F right now.

Just an update if the Bavarian m20. It is not bad for a flavorful am wheat. No bubblegum, slight bannana, tiny clove. Wife loves it. Might make the spring, summer rotation. I did replace standard pale male with heidelburg malt, so this may be my issue, but also results in a crisp light wheat.

I'm dropping the British Ale M07 in a cream ale tonight. I'm expecting a nottingham equivalent but will post back in a couple weeks.

Harvested M-84 Bohemian Lager yeast:

On Wednesday I pitched 3rd gen harvested yeast into my 4th batch with this yeast. It's a 7 gallon batch of German IPL, 1.066 OG. I finished brewday, drew off 1 gallon of wort and quickly chilled it to 52F, pitched 200ml of clean slurry to it with DAP and yeast energizer and placed it in my kegorator set at 50F.

Put the rest of the wort in my ferm chamber for an overnight chill. The next day, the starter beer was going balls-out. I pitched it into the rest of the 45F wort. It's fermenting strong at 49F right now.

Nice. I've done this before and think I will again in the future. I'm eagerly awaiting putting my oktoberfestbier on tap as well as the 2.8% mild. But I need to kick a hefe and an alt first. Those are probably pretty close.

Nice. I've done this before and think I will again in the future. I'm eagerly awaiting putting my oktoberfestbier on tap as well as the 2.8% mild. But I need to kick a hefe and an alt first. Those are probably pretty close.
This thing is churning like a beast. Pitched at 45F, I let it rise to 49f. The sucker hit 59F today in my chamber set at 52. Just dropped to 50. I think it'll be OK due to being 5 days in and yeast being out of growth phase. Never had any lager temp rise 10F during fermentation.

This thing is churning like a beast. Pitched at 45F, I let it rise to 49f. The sucker hit 59F today in my chamber set at 52. Just dropped to 50. I think it'll be OK due to being 5 days in and yeast being out of growth phase. Never had any lager temp rise 10F during fermentation.

Perhaps you over pitched a tad. I'm pretty sure I did for my schwarzbier. Less than 8 hour lag time on a lager is maybe a little quick.
Tried a sample of my mild yesterday, it has a good flavor, but at 2.8% abv, it's pretty thin in the body. Have to try to drink that one down quick. I think I've probably got about half a gallon of my other beers left. I like them, but I'm ready to move on; can't wait for them to kick.

Perhaps you over pitched a tad.

Turns out one of my digital probe thermometers has a bad probe. That beer is in D-rest right now at 63F, thermometer was reading 72F. No telling what that beer fermented at but looking at how far off the thermometer was reading, it could have been fermenting at <48F (pitched at 45F)

Hey guys, watch this

M02 014 (640x480).jpg

Fermented a Belgian Blond (Leffe clone) with M27 - started a month ago, fermented steadily for about a week or a little more. Left it in primary until today, just kegged it and the (flat) samples taste GREAT! FG 1.008 which is just about perfect for this beer, and lower than I usually get, so I am pleased with this yeast so far.

Still waiting on drinking it. I have 5 bottles of the O-fest submitted to two comps that both judge Saturday, although it's still slightly young, so we'll see how it does there.

I'm planning on holding off most sampling of this and my schwarzbier that was pitched on the cake until the first week of October.

Drinking your Ofest yet? I'm drinking mine and after close to 6 weeks of lagering, it's mighty tasty. Probably the best lager I've made to date. It's malty and soft, I like it. Haven't taken a sample of my schwarzbier yet, but it's had a d-rest and it probably ready to start lagering.

I checked the gravity on the oatmeal stout I brewed a week ago that I repitched the New Castle Dark Ale yeast in and the gravity was at 1.024. ARGH. This yeast is just a b*tch. The only yeast I've been able to get attenuated enough is the Boh Lager yeast. Everything else has finished high.
I did rouse the yeast and will let it sit for another week or two. It's just annoying.
I also took a sample of the schwarzbier I repitched the Boh Lager yeast in. The gravity was at 1.014 and tasted great. Maybe I should just stick to lagers :)

Pacific Northwest has worked out well. Has finished a bit dry, and it's quite hop forwards. Still some malt sweetness left, but this American red had plenty of crystal malt in it.

Back