Hawaiian brew pubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abracadabra

Reaction score
Are there any good brew pubs on Oahu. I know about Sam Choy's, Brew Moon and Gordon Birsch

Kona is somewhere ... they have two places on two of the islands

I was in Hawaii last year and we went to Sam Choy's and Brew Moon. Both were pretty good. I thought Brew Moon had better beer, but Sam Choy's had better (and cheaper) food.

I didn't make it to Gordon Biersch when I was there, but I went to one in the chicago suburbs a few months ago and I think they have the best food and beer of the three. But Gordon Biersch is all across the country, so I'd stick with the local brew pubs while I was in Hawaii.

Oh yeah and be sure to drink lots of Kona, I wasn't disappointed with any of their beers (longboard was my favorite).

-Dan- said:
Kona is somewhere ... they have two places on two of the islands
I believe Kona is on the big island. Not sure where Gordon Biersch is, but Brew Moon and Sam Choy are on Ohau, close to Waikiki beach.

drunkatuw said:
I didn't make it to Gordon Biersch when I was there, but I went to one in the chicago suburbs a few months ago and I think they have the best food and beer of the three. But Gordon Biersch is all across the country, so I'd stick with the local brew pubs while I was in Hawaii.

Oh yeah and be sure to drink lots of Kona, I wasn't disappointed with any of their beers (longboard was my favorite).

Too bad you didn't go to the Gordon Biersch. I agree that of the 3 I mentioned they have the best beer. Gordon Biersch also has the best scenery as they are right on the water in Honolulu Harbor. And have outdoor tables so you can enjoy it alfresco.

Which Sam Choy's did you go to the Breakfast, Lunch and Crab on Nimitz Blvd or his more formal restaurant?

Thanks for the tip about the Kona pub guys. I found one on Oahu in Hawaii Kai at the Koko Marina. I can go over there and rub elbows with the rich folks.

I had seen the logo before and thought it was coffee. :confused:

thanks again :mug:

abracadabra said:
Which Sam Choy's did you go to the Breakfast, Lunch and Crab on Nimitz Blvd or his more formal restaurant?

We went to the breakfast, lunch and crab on Nimitz. It's pretty cool, there's a big boat in the middle of the dining area.

We made it to the Kona Brew Pub in Hawai Kai on Oahu. I thought both the beer and food were Great we liked it so much we went there twice and wanted to go back for more.

Gordon Biersch: the beer's good and view's pretty good the lunch menu is reasonably priced and food is good, but dinner menu is way overpriced and the food only average at best. Can't really explain the difference between lunch and dinner but everytime I've been there for dinner I was disapointed and this trip was no exception.

Didn't make it by Yard house as I tried to stay away from the city as much as possible.

Thanks again for the tips

I liked Gordon Biersch. I'm in agreement with it having the best scenery, being right on the water in the harbor and all. IIRC The only down side to it was having the cruise ships parked close by.

When i went to Oahu i took a special trip out to Kona Brewing Co Restaurant. Food was decent but the service i had was terrible. Its about a 20 minute drive from Waikiki. I'd suggest to keep on Waikiki and enjoy the scene. Most of the bars around Oahu have Kona on tap, so you can get the experience of Kona on Waikiki instead of driving 20 minutes to a strip mall with a lacking atmosphere.

Back