O.K. I need critique .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackshirtproud

Reaction score
All right Guys and Gals with more experience than me, I need a critiquing on my first session of extract and grain kit brewing.
The kit was a Midwest Raspberry Red Ale.

1. Used cleaner and then used Star San to sanitize all equipment.

2. Steeped grains in about 2 gal of spring water the Boil Kettle between 150
and 170 for 30 min never going over 170.

3. Removed grain bag and began the boil. Just as the bubbling started (about
200 degrees) I added 1oz of Tettang hops and continued to boil for 60 min
stirring every couple of minutes and knocking the hops back into the liquid as
would stick to the side as foam would build and subside.

4. With about 5 min left to the boil I added 1oz of Fuggles and continued to boil
for the remaining 5 minutes stirring as I went along. It seems to have about 1.5
gallons of liquid wort left in the brew kettle.

5. Prepared a ice bath in sink. It took about 10 Min to chill to 80 degrees.
During this time I prepared the Munton's dry yeast in 1/3 cup of pre boiled
80 deg. water and let it sit for about 15 min.

6. Poured about 3.5 gal. of spring water into primary pail and added the the wort,
Stirred vigorously and then took SG reading of 1.050 corrected at 80 deg. to
1.058 (I hope I did this right). Then I pitched the yeast and again stirred for
about 30 sec.

7. Put lid and air lock on and now play the waiting game.

I am a Little worried about the OG difference. Recipe states OG as 1.047-1.046 and FG 1.010-1.012.

Any Critique is appreciated, This was my first attempt .

You did fine. You might get a little bit of tannin from the steep getting as hot as it did, but it probably won't be very noticeable over the razzberry. As long as you kept everything sanitary once the wort cooled down, this will turn out to be a great beer. It takes about 10 batches before every batch is the best beer ever. Welcome to the madness. Try a simpler beer sometime, maybe a wheat or pale ale. This is a very rewarding pasttime.

Thanks for the replies, I feel a little better now .
I had heard about fruits being a little more difficult but I have never been the type
to start out on the easy level of things, So I thought I would start kinda in the middle.:rockin:

Thanks again, Zac

Am i the only one who noticed he didn't mention anything about adding the DME or LME? Unless we just assumed he added it won't he just have hop water? I'm assuming he added it due to his SG

IrregularPulse said:
Am i the only one who noticed he didn't mention anything about adding the DME or LME? Unless we just assumed he added it won't he just have hop water? I'm assuming he added it due to his SG

Sorry, Great catch. I added the 1/2 gal of malt extract between #2 & #3 right before the first hops addition.:)

Sounds like a fine stove-top session.

What was the final temp at pitch time?

Try chilling your top off water next time to bring that final temp down to around 70 degrees.

All sounds well otherwise.

BierMuncher said:
Sounds like a fine stove-top session.

What was the final temp at pitch time?

Try chilling your top off water next time to bring that final temp down to around 70 degrees.

All sounds well otherwise.

The mash was 80 degrees give or take, top off water was at about 70 deg.
I added yeast after I mixed Mash and top off so I am guessing (since I didn't temp ) that it was between the two.

I was really surprised how fast I got the mash pot down to around 80 degrees,
I had heard that this usually takes a long time.

I too was surprised at how well an ice bath works. Ice-cold water is still my preferred method, but only b/c I don't have to empty every ice tray I own.
I like midwest kits a lot- plus- theres Partial Mash and AG options for all kits.
Whats on deck?

oguss0311 said:
I too was surprised at how well an ice bath works. Ice-cold water is still my preferred method, but only b/c I don't have to empty every ice tray I own.
I like midwest kits a lot- plus- theres Partial Mash and AG options for all kits.
Whats on deck?

I might end up being a gorilla brewer and go broke from it. I am thinking a Fat Tire clone for myself (I Luuuuuv Fat Tire), My brother is getting married here
in a few months and he and his new swmbo dig Porter's and Stout's, I would like to try a ton of different ones and have a growing list and a dwindling account.
Someday I gotta learn this moderation thing I keep hearing about:cross:

:mug:

The only thing I'd reccomend doing different is increasing the size of the boil. If you have a big enough pot, shoot for a three gallon boil.

Back