Favorite Rye Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
Since I have yet to use Rye in a beer I was hoping I could get a thread on Rye beers that taste good. That way I can go find them and get an idea of how to make a good Rye beer :mug:

I just had a great one at Three creeks brewery in Sister, OR. It was a basic wheat beer recipe, but used rye instead of the wheat. They didn't say the exact ratio, but usually about 60% base malt and 40% wheat or rye. They used some coriander and orange peel also.

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye is damn good.

Oakshire Brewing Line Dry Rye is nice.

Dick's Brewing in Washington State makes a great Rye Ale.

There's actually quite a few folks on this board who have indicated that Michelobe Rye PA is decent considering the source, but I've never seen it in stores.

Southern Oregon Brewing makes a beer called Le Freaque that is a "Belgian Rye Cascadian Dark Ale"... aka a Black IPA made with rye and La Chouffe yeast. It is amazing.

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye is damn good.

Oakshire Brewing Line Dry Rye is nice.

Dick's Brewing in Washington State makes a great Rye Ale.

There's actually quite a few folks on this board who have indicated that Michelobe Rye PA is decent considering the source, but I've never seen it in stores.

Southern Oregon Brewing makes a beer called Le Freaque that is a "Belgian Rye Cascadian Dark Ale"... aka a Black IPA made with rye and La Chouffe yeast. It is amazing.

Is Dick's the same as Dirty Dick's? Or two different ones?

I have 3 rye recipes - a APA and an IPA, and a redish Rye IPA . The secret ingredient is honey malt instead of crystal malt!

Haven't had a lot of Rye beers, but I really did like Goose Island Mild Winter. You should be able to get some of that where you are.

Here's another + for Founders Red Rye and one for Harpoon 100 Barrel Series Rusty's Rye

Founders Red's Rye is good.
Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye is terrific.
Shmaltz Brewing Company's He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. is very good too. They even have a version of that aged in Rye whiskey barrels, which is real good as well.

I made a HRR clone that I beefed up the hop bill on, and it is great. Highly recommended.

+1 Denny's, IMO far superior to Hop Rod Rye. Nobody doesn't like it.

Never had Founders, maybe someone can PM one to me.

If we're talking about boughten beer, it's Two Brothers Cane & Ebel & Founders Red's Rye, no contest.

If homebrew, I made Ed Wort's Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA and liked it. Enough that I made it again, and I still like it. I'm gonna have to look up the Recipe for Denny Conn's product and try that.

another vote for He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. The rye isn't overpowering and it helps keep this DIPA to not be cloying like others.

I was in the schaumburg il area this weekend and bought a 6 pack of the Founders Rye PA. Absolutely amazing!

Dirty Dick's is a Youngs product, a nice English ale, so different.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale is my favorite Rye beer at the moment.

Rye is an awesome ingredient, and I also love the Terrapin, especially the Rye Squared...

I make a RyePA w/ American hops and aged on bourbon soaked oak chips...

I love the flavor of Rye. I'm seriously considering using it in almost everything I brew.

Latest posts

Back