Thinking about going AG? Don't be afraid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for Dec. 8th to roll around before hopping on the AG wagon...Xmas bonus day, baby! :rockin:

lol, me too!

I cant wait. Ive brewed about 10 extract batches and every one has either been PM or with specialty grains so im really looking forward to having the customizability with the base malts and grain bill. So far, they have all turned out good so Im hoping to get the same success rate with AG as I have with extract!

:mug:

Just want to toss in my opinion, I agree very much with OP. I was very much intimidated by everything from the terminology of all grain, brewers complicated rigs on here, and the simple fact that it was regarded so highly. When it came down to it, you can easily go from Extract to All grain with a bigger pot and a strainer bag (using DeathBrewer's Stove Top AG method) or build yourself a home depot mash cooler for 60 bucks, and you're all set. I brewed ~80 gallons in a month an a half this summer once I finally completed my mash tun (did the stove top method for a while) and it couldnt have been any easier! Those 80 gallons easily paid for my equipment upgrades.

Just go for it!

I just brewed my first two AG batches this weekend after having done 5 extract brews. I am using an Igloo Ice Cube 48qt cooler as my MLT and using Bobby M's "No Mash Out Double Batch Sparge" method with 1 kettle/burner. I got 86% and 89% efficiency on my first two brews (calculated using beer smith). What a great way to start AG! All thanks to the info on this forum!

The wort chiller is the only thing holding me back as well. I plan on going shopping in the morning for a turkey fryer on the best day of the year for such a purchase.

I guess I'll just forgo a batch or two so that I can save a few bucks for an IC.

Price the copper when shopping for the turkey fryer...IC fabrication is also fairly easy. My buddy spent the money of fittings for the IC and I kind of chuckled because mine has no fittings...I just slide my tubing over the copper and tighten with worm clamps. Of course, I need a pot holder or towel to hold the copper when doing so:D!

With winter on the horizon, you have some help from mother nature in cooling if you cannot afford the IC right away...

Thanks for the info on the easy transition from extract to all grain. I've been debating if I should make that leap, and I think I will. I'll try to get the MLT equipment tonight, and maybe try to do an all grain sunday. I have an extract I want to do on saturday.

Back