Permanently marking glass carboy for each gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripod

Reaction score
Greetings All!

I am trying to find a way to mark lines for each gallon on my 6.5 gallon glass carboy but everything seems to quickly wash off of glass. I tried a regular sharpie the first time and it washed right off after I cleaned the carboy. I did a search on HBT and found a thread about using an acid-wash to etch the glass. A little wary of that but a lot of brewers seem to like it.

Has anyone found a successful way to mark glass that will stand the test of time? I'd love to hear what you have done to solve this!

-Tripod

Probably one of the best ideas on this entire site. I don't know why you're wary of it...A lot of brew clubs etch glassware to give away at tastings, same with weddings, I have several pieces from both those things. And I've done some artsy crafty glass etching with armor etch in the past. It's safe if you follow the directions. Armour etch has been around forever.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/marking-your-carboy-63174/

If you want the best way to do it, then that's the one....

i used a strip of tape and marked a line at the bottom of the tape (you'd have to remember that though when it does wash off!)

+1 for what Revvy said. "Armour Etch" is pretty cheap and lasts forever. Just make sure you mark at the correct level. Also if you have a simple logo you can have fun with it and etch some glasses.

Probably one of the best ideas on this entire site. I don't know why you're wary of it...A lot of brew clubs etch glassware to give away at tastings, same with weddings, I have several pieces from both those things. And I've done some artsy crafty glass etching with armor etch in the past. It's safe if you follow the directions. Armour etch has been around forever.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/marking-your-carboy-63174/

If you want the best way to do it, then that's the one....

Thanks, Revvy.

That is exactly the thread I looked at. I think my instict made me feel like I would be compromising the glass but after a little thought, I realized that I wouldn't be etching deep enough for problems. My head went straight to the type of etching where you actually cut the glass with a wheel or dremel...but this stuff is different. Is it acid?

Maybe I just needed to hear it from people who actually like it.

-Tripod

+1 on etching the glass, I just need to find some place around here that sells that stuff. I'm sure it's out there, I just hate shopping, and even more now.

If etching really doesn't appeal to you, white-out correction fluid or nail polish stand up reasonably well (and they can be removed with some elbow grease if you want).

+1 on etching the glass, I just need to find some place around here that sells that stuff. I'm sure it's out there, I just hate shopping, and even more now.

Any chain art/crafts supply store stocks it, it ain't no big deal. Michael's, Hobby Lobby, some of the larger Jo Anne's Fabrics (the one's with a well stocked art supply section.)

I picked up a doctor's office scale at auction. It weighs from zip to 350 by 1/4 pounds, and seems accurate all along. I guess it could be called a double-beam scale. Anyhow, I've weighed all my vessels, and recorded that info in my brew log. If I want to know how much of anything, I throw it on the scale. One gallon is 7.8#, I just use 8, what with the higher specific gravity of whatever I'm weighing, I'm dead on.

Thanks, All for quelling my fears of this. :mug:

The more I research it, the more it looks like something I'd like to try. It can't possibly go deep enough to challenge the structure of the glass. On that note:

What do you recommend for making a stencil? I like the photos I've seen where people use painter's masking tape and I totally get that. That is straight forward for marking lines...but what about a logo or artwork? What I'd like to know is how people make the stencils for the detailed stuff like they give away at tastings. Or for a pint glass?

Any tips for details beyond what can be done with making tape? I thought maybe I could cover a large area of the glass with tape and then use something like an x-acto knife (-sp?) to cut away what I'd like to expose. What do you guys do?

-Tripod

Wax. A layer of bees wax or other soft wax is great to scratch through and then armour cream. It is great for free hand sketching. A medium density wax can be cut out as well and peeled off.

You can also make a small scale sand-blaster that works well too. Just what you need...another hobby.

Here is one of many links that can give you some ideas: Glass Etching - Glass Etching Kits

Hello again!

Ok, I know this has been a while but I finally decided to take the plunge and do the Armour-etch method to my carboy. I'm only reviving this post in case any future boy-adventurers were curious about marking their carboy...just like me about a month ago.

It turned out really nice! I am very impressed with the outcome. It was easy to apply, easy to wash and gives my carboy a really nice "finished" look to it. Even the wifey who doesn't do beer anymore (health reasons) was really impressed with the final results. I got it at a local Michael's art/craft store for $7.50 and a set of kid's alphabet/number stickers for $1.

I am planning to brew this Friday and I'll take some photos with the wort in the carboy so the contrast is better. If anyone is interested, I'll post the pics when I'm done.

Thanks All for the tips! :mug:

-Tripod

What do you recommend for making a stencil?

You can get an 8.5X11 stick-on label at an office supply shop. Avery makes the labels. Print out your design from your computer, and use an x-acto to cut out the stencil. The label will be a ***** to get off the carboy, but this will work.

With all of the threads warning against using glass carboys due to breakage concerns, I wonder why nobody thinks twice about etching a line on their carboy? Even a small flaw in a container like this could increase the chances of it breaking.

With all of the threads warning against using glass carboys due to breakage concerns, I wonder why nobody thinks twice about etching a line on their carboy? Even a small flaw in a container like this could increase the chances of it breaking.

I think that is only true if you actually cut into the carboy like with a dremel/wheel or sand-blasting or something along those lines.

The etching solution like I used did leave a "frosting" but if I run my fingers across it with my eyes closed, I cannot percieve any depth to it. I do feel where the etching is but the "depth" is no where near enough to compromise the physical integrity of the glass. I bet you would do more scratching by washing with a scrubby...

-Tripod

I've used glass etch before. Not for this though. I like Tripod has reported, I can't think of any possibility where this type of etch would harm the glass. Its more like a frosting. Pretty harmless stuff (I dont think I'd put it on my hand though).

In response to making a stencil:
If you can get your hands on the materials, you could always screen print the reverse image onto the carboy using regular t-shirt ink (plastisol). Then you apply the etch. After 5 min, wash off the etch and ink.

There must be some kind of paint that sticks hard and won't come off unless you put a razor to it.

That was my original thought, too. You see pyrex flasks used all the time for starters and they have those white-painted graduation marks that you can write on. Coffee pots have them too. But I have to say, now that I've used the Armour-etch with amazing results I'll probably stick with that. I would definitely recommend it to others.

I am still curious, though...does anyone know what that white paint is and where you can find it?

-Tripod

Someone on the forum posted recently that they used a sharpie mark, let it dry, and then painted over it with clear nail polish.

Havent tried it yet, but i think this is definitely cheap and easy. Not as cool as etching though, but I didnt wanna spend $20 on a bottle of that stuff. Ill probably never have to etch anything other than my carboys.

I haven't had a problem just using a Sharpie. It's not like I have to really scrub down the outside of it right over the writing.

Be VERY careful with the glass etching stuff. It contains enough fluoric acid to cause you some real grief if you absorb it through your skin. Wear gloves and safety glasses when handling!

Tom

Ok, HBT... I realize I'm a total necromancer for reviving this thread :rolleyes: but I wanted to (finally) post the pictures I promised like 4 months ago! This is following the technique posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/marking-your-carboy-63174/. Thanks, Revvy, for the link...

Here are some shots of the final outcome. I am really pleased with how it came out and would recommend this technique to anyone who wants to etch carboys, bottles, mugs, mirrors, whatever!

This carboy is actually on its side. I sanatize with only about 2 gallons of iodophor and then rotate the carboy a few degrees every 3-4 minutes.
DSC04246.jpg

Here's a better upright shot.
DSC04252.JPG

A close up of the numbers.
DSC04248.jpg

I added this pic to show that I put rings all the way around the carboy so I could tell how full it was no matter how it was rotated. It was hard to mask off with the tape but really worth it.
DSC04249.JPG

OK, Thanks for letting me share! :mug:

-Tripod

i have sharpie that's still kind of showing on my one carboy after about 5 or 6 batches in it. But this etching thing really got me excited. I'm going to whip up some symbols and go to town and buy this stuff

Thanks Guys! Couldn't have done it without HBT! :mug:

Here is a shot in use...I think this was the Honey Porter maybe? Anyway, you can definitely see the markings better with a dark beer inside to add contrast...

DSC04236.JPG

I use a milk crate to transport my carboy. It has handles (duh) so I don't have to worry about gripping slippery glass. I put my stick-on thermometer up that high both so I can read it above the crate and because I use the swamp coller method and this keeps the stick-on above the water line.

-Tripod

i have sharpie that's still kind of showing on my one carboy after about 5 or 6 batches in it. But this etching thing really got me excited. I'm going to whip up some symbols and go to town and buy this stuff

You really won't be dissappointed at all! I was amazed at how easy it was to do. Just make sure to go over the step-by-step in the post that Revvy linked in post#3. Also wear gloves and make sure any curious pets stay away. Other than that it's a piece of cake!

-Tripod

Thanks for resurrecting the dead! I had never seen anyone etch the carboys and it looks great and won't rub off. SWMBO likes to play with glass so she can contribute to the brewery now :ban:

Did this tonight, unbelievable result.

0915092317a.jpg

Quick snap shot with the phone. Sorry for lack of quality. End result was really pro. Just put in the time to mask it off properly, I used Scotch 3m Masking tape for general painting #2050.

Had absolutely no bleed through on the lines.

Did this tonight, unbelievable result.

0915092317a.jpg

Quick snap shot with the phone. Sorry for lack of quality. End result was really pro. Just put in the time to mask it off properly, I used Scotch 3m Masking tape for general painting #2050.

Had absolutely no bleed through on the lines.

That looks really good! I think you'll like having the rings all the way around the carboy too. It takes time to mask it all off but it's totally worth the effort...no bleeding either. I get a lot of comments on mine whenever people come over and check out the closet brewery.

-Tripod

Back