Splenda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
In searching for a Hard Lemonaid recpe for our friend Pumbaa I found one that uses 6-10 pounds of sugar. I was wondering... what would happen if you use splenda? Will splenda ferment out like sugar?

I'm pretty sure (99%) splenda won't ferment.

Plus, splenda is cane sugar with chlorine added, so if it DID ferment, you would have a ton of chlorine liberated in your beer which would likely lead to chloropheynols (sp?) and taste like bandaids.

-walker

Well that certainly does not sound very beer friendly.... unless of course if your making a batch for the Bud folks...couldn't see them caring one way or another:D

Yeah I think I saw that one last night too Mike. This whole idea is starting to become a pita, dunno if I am gonna keep going just to figure it ouot and say
"HA!! I got it"
,,l,, >.< ,,l,,​
or just say screw it and buy it instead

Pumbaa said:
or just say screw it and buy it instead

Nah the stuff taste too good to just say screw it. Ya got me thinking of it too. Like someone said in the other thread, there is soo much acid that it woudl mask any off taste sugar would give. The acid though... got me thinking if the acid would do something wierd to the beer yeast....

What I am thinking is ferment the wort seperetly then adding the leamons and sweetner when bottling. I guess it's only like 30% malt in the mix anyway so I'm guessing it's 2 seperate processes and then they are combined in a 3rd at bottling

Good thread!

Proof positive: I actually emailed the Splenda company last year and posed this very same question to them. They stated that their product would definately not ferment.

Comercially it refers to calories

Realisticly when your talking about most comercial beers that come in "lite" it refers to all 3 plus flavor :p

Latest posts

Back