Do you dry hop in the primary or the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BassBeer--I just started kegging. Do you leave the hops in the keg or remove after a few days?

BassBeer--I just started kegging. Do you leave the hops in the keg or remove after a few days?

I transfer to the keg, warm back to room temp, dry hop for 5-7 days in a hop bag tied to the keg handle with dental floss, remove the hops then chill. I've read good things about adding another addition before chilling but haven't tried it yet. Might on the next batch.

Dry hop in primary if you don't have a good reason to do a secondary. Then cold crash 3-5 days. Then you avoid risk of infection and save time, and you'll also have a clear beer.

I dry hop in the seconday, but I use a keg as a seconday bc it's easier to clean. Plus, once I transfer from primary to secondary keg and drop in my hops, purge with some co2 and let her ride. When I'm ready to cold crash I throw it In the kegerator for a few days and transfer to serving keg. Force carb and enjoy

image-1933222357.jpg

I dry hop after four days in FV, convinced that all that bubbling gas is taking the aroma away that I am dry hopping for ! You just have to be around and remember to do it. I don't secondary. I get results that I am delighted with.

I dry hop in the secondary. Since I'm already there transferring the beer, I just toss in the additional hops.

I dry hop in primary after fermentation is complete. I rarely do secondary for anything that's dry hopped anyways. In fact, I rarely rack to secondary at all. Maybe it's laziness, but I haven't noticed a problem yet.

I dry hopped in the primary and then realized that I just ruined any hopes of harvesting my Conan yeast.... curses!

I usually dry hop in the primary unless I'm reusing the yeast for a different batch, then I dry hop in the secondary. Unless your reusing your yeast or aging for an extended period of time I see no benefit to dry hopping in a secondary.

you could rinse the yeast - decant off the clean yeast from the hops and the trub.

In my experience if you make a really hoppy beer, even if you rinse and clean the yeast from the hops and trub, unless the next beer you use the yeast for is also hoppy some of the bitterness carry's over and can produce off flavors. That's why I use hop bags for all my hop additions and if I'm going to dry hop I always use a secondary.

Sounds like either way works... I was wondering the same thing.

I have an APA that's been in primary two weeks, and am going to dry hop tomorrow for one more week. Wasn't sure which way to go with it. It's a three gal batch in a five gal better bottle; going to be adding 1 oz pellets. I have a 3 gal better bottle, so thought about using this as the secondary to reduce the head space. But since I'm only leaving it for one more week, the extra headspace shouldn't make much difference, right? Was thinking about just popping out the bung, feeding the pellets in a few at a time, then resanitizing and replacing the bung... This shouldn't let too much of the CO2 "protective blanket" out, I would think.

So leaning toward primary dry-hop instead of secondary (and I bottle, so the keg dry-hop isn't an option). The next question was whether to add them loose or in a bag. And if in a bag: just toss the bag in by itself, add some sanitized marbles and just drop it in, or add some marbles and tie some unflavored floss to it and lower it halfway down the carboy (so it doesn't float on top or sink all the way down to the trub layer right away)? Sounds like many have had good results just adding loose? Does seem the easiest way...

Thoughts? Thx...

Ref#94
I have always dry hopped in primary after four or five days and with pellets loose, just chucked in, till my last brew when I used whole hops in a bag. On bottling day (first time lid off since adding hop bag) the hop bag was floating very high ! Some of the hops were about an inch above the brew! They won't be doing much up there. Next time I do it with whole hops I will add marbles or a stainless steel spoon to keep them sunk.

I just throw pellets loose into the primary a week before I plan to rack off to my serving keg.

BrewHaas said:
I just throw pellets loose into the primary a week before I plan to rack off to my serving keg.

Thanks. That's exactly what I just did... Will let 'em sit for a week and then bottle (well, FG dependent - was still 2 pts higher than predicted, but that could be it... Will see in a week!).

Back