Smack pack and servomyses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
???
A smack pack is yeast. Servomyces is yeast. Need more information - What is it you are trying to accomplish?

That much I do know, fine sir. I ask because I flowed a recipe that called for wyeast(can't remember which). It also said I could add servomyses. I went to my LHBS and the yeast they gave me was a smack pack. I used both. If a smack pack has nutrients and the servomyses are a nutrient as well, is it possible to over nutriate?(not a word, I know). I ask because my wort foamed like a mofo, and now my FG is stuck at 1.020 and needs to fall to1.017. Only my second batch so I may be over analyzing.

I don't think it will over nutriate(still not a word). But I don't think that will cause any problem. the smack pack just has a little bit of nuitrients, that after you smack it, the yeast consume and it causes the pack to swell. this is mainly just to show you that the yeast is still alive and healthy. the nutrients you add to your wort is to maintain the yeast's health through to the end of fermentation.

.003 isn't all that big of a differnce. the yeast might be done. sometimes warming the wort up will help the yeast get the last few points.

OK, I've edumacated myself. It turns out that White Labs has a product "Servomyces" which is a yeast nutrient, basically derived from dead yeast hulls. I believe it is more commonly used in wine where the must lacks the nutrients commonly found in beer worts. If you've gotten to a reasonable FG, then your yeast did fine without the extra help.

FWIW, I generally use Di-ammonium phosphate (DAP), though on the occasions where I forgot to add it, I didn't notice any problems.

Cheers!

Back