Exploding flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherbigfoot

Reaction score
Well I really did it I just finished building my stir plate and was going to do my first starter on it so I measured out my DME added 2000ml to my 4000 ml Pyrex flask added a drop of de-foamer and my stir bar. I then put it on the electric stove top and commenced to boil. As the flask started to boil I looked a way for maybe 10 seconds and when I looked back the sucker was about to boil over. As I reached for a hot pad to pull it off the heat it really started to gush and then there was a sickening snap and 2000ml of boiling wort spilt all over the kitchen.

Crap now I guess it's back to using growlers for starters. And worse of all I can't use the growler on my new stir-plate

fatherbigfoot said:
Well I really did it I just finished building my stir plate and was going to do my first starter on it so I measured out my DME added 2000ml to my 4000 ml Pyrex flask added a drop of de-foamer and my stir bar. I then put it on the electric stove top and commenced to boil. As the flask started to boil I looked a way for maybe 10 seconds and when I looked back the sucker was about to boil over. As I reached for a hot pad to pull it off the heat it really started to gush and then there was a sickening snap and 2000ml of boiling wort spilt all over the kitchen.

Crap now I guess it's back to using growlers for starters. And worse of all I can't use the growler on my new stir-plate

I concur. Electric gets crazy hot in an uneven way. Maybe some layer of buffer might work like a metal disc or small frying pan to make it less painful for the Pyrex.

They just did a thing on TV about how new pyrex can't take the heat of old pyrex. People take it out of the oven and set it on something cold, boom!

Hmm when I was in grad school I used an electric stove on Pyrex. Well live and learn just wish I had not sacrificed my 4000ml flask

They just did a thing on TV about how new pyrex can't take the heat of old pyrex. People take it out of the oven and set it on something cold, boom!
It's because newer Pyrex cookware (I can't speak for labware) isn't actually borosilicate glass anymore but is actually regular soda glass that's been tempered. As the saying goes, it works in the kitchen... until it doesn't.

It seems to me that you can tell by looking at the glass itself; borosilicate has a bit of a brownish tinge to it while the soda glass has a green tint.

I concur. Electric gets crazy hot in an uneven way. Maybe some layer of buffer might work like a metal disc or small frying pan to make it less painful for the Pyrex.

Place the flask in A large pot with water then put the pot on the electric stove.

I got my flask from a lab supply and it says borosilicate right on there. Pyrex is just a brand name for glass products that used to be made from borosilicate but just like bandaids, people got used to calling the glass itself "pyrex". Unfortunately, you don't really know what you're getting if you rely on this brand name.

I knew I had seen it listed to not use an electric stove with flasks...

From the William's Brewing site: "A gas stove is recommended, as electric burners can cause the glass to crack."

Flasks are designed for use with gas burners, such as those you find in labs. So it makes perfect sense (to me) that you should not use them on electric heating elements (to get to boil)...

You should buy one of those portable camping stoves with the small fuel cans and just bust it out whenever it's time to make a starter. They are pretty cheap, and you will be prepared whenever you feel like enjoying the outdoors :D

Or just not boil the starter wort in the flask. :drunk:

I make my starters in stainless steel pots, then transfer to the flask after it's been cooled enough. Especially when I'm doing a stepped starter, where there's yeast already in it. :cross: It's another reason I keep a bucket of Star San solution on hand (plus some in a spray bottle) at all times. :rockin:

I make my starters in stainless steel pots, then transfer to the flask after it's been cooled enough. Especially when I'm doing a stepped starter, where there's yeast already in it. :cross: It's another reason I keep a bucket of Star San solution on hand (plus some in a spray bottle) at all times. :rockin:

Yep, I don't really understand why people risk their flasks and potential serious injury to boil in them. I boil my starters in a stainless pot, cool in an ice bath, then transfer to my sanitized flask. Never had an infection or any problems with this method. It's certainly safer than trying to move a piping hot glass flask.

Gas stove only! Also FWIW, why are you boiling your stir bar, if it's coated, which most are, you could damage it with the heat. I just sanitize mine and add it once the starter is cooled:)

Yep, I don't really understand why people risk their flasks and potential serious injury to boil in them. I boil my starters in a stainless pot, cool in an ice bath, then transfer to my sanitized flask. Never had an infection or any problems with this method. It's certainly safer than trying to move a piping hot glass flask.

I've seen enough threads/postings of people either having their flask break, explode, or spew hot wort on their hands to NOT want to put mine onto the stove. I do have a gas stove, so I could boil in the flask. Just not looking forward to facing any of the issues others have.

+967.238.

I just starsan the flaqsk and stir bar and pour the wort in once it has cooled to pitching temps. It's easier to add the yeast to the sauce pan than the flask, too.

And my flask is borasilicate.

When Bringing liquids to a boil with an Erlenmeyer flask you should always use boiling stones, for one it promotes an even boil as well as prevents bumping.

Back