Dbl ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingHippo

Part Time Brewer
Reaction score
Not quite sure what happened but i brewed a DBL IPA yesterday. After almost a year without homebrewing. (New apartment,new obstacles to hurdle like Garden hose two-stories down from my bathroom sink)
Anyways, My OG was way off by about 20 points too low. Trying to avoid a rainstorm i quickly added all my knockout hops@0mins and chilled my wort.
Thinking later that i could of boiled off more water or added DME to boost it up to where i want it.
So i pitched my yeast starter of 001 (Cal-Ale Baby!!) and the airlock started ripping bong hits in two hours. Has anyone ever added DME while fermentation has already begun to bulk up the gravity?
Cheers
Bryan with a Y:mug:

I haven't added DME that late, but I've definitely added it after the boil when I got a new system and missed my OG by 15 points!

You could just boil up the DME in as little water as possible, boil for 5 minutes, cool, and gently add to the fermenter.

I haven't added DME that late, but I've definitely added it after the boil when I got a new system and missed my OG by 15 points!

You could just boil up the DME in as little water as possible, boil for 5 minutes, cool, and gently add to the fermenter.
Good idea.. thanks :D

Back