Need advise after I used 2 different yeast types.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pieces1020

Reaction score
I just made a lager on Sat and after 36 hours I pitched another envelope of yeast since there was nothing going on. I pitched a smack pack( California lager ) at 65 degrees and has been between 60 - 65 since. I had a packet of muntons dry yeast that I added last night and had some good action today. This is the first time I ever had an issue and not sure if adding two different types of yeast will effect the outcome. Anyone have any advice or ideas of what I should expect the outcome to be. I am only doing a single stage fermentation so no secondary.

Hi Pieces. this is the Announcements and Feedback subforum. You're more likely to get answers to a question like this if you post it in the subforums for Beginners or Fermentation and Yeast.

Personally, 36 hours isn't too long, especially for a lager if you didn't make a starter. Also, for lagers, you generally want to ferment much cooler than you are. For now, I think you just let it go and see what you end up with!

Hello Pieces...the prior poster is correct, you are fermenting above lager yeast temperatures ( which is usually around 48-55 degrees), but when you pitched the Muntons ( an Ale Yeast) you now changed your fermentation temperatures to a warmer fermenting beer (around 64-70 degrees)... Your beer will be fine, but will have a different flavor profile than you were shooting for.

Back