Do you always have to use a blow-off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read and seen said:
Disagree. when krasen rises in the airlock it foams through the vent holes in trhe cap and then hardens there, forming a plug where it is exposed to air. The blowoff tube moves the krausen further away from the fermenter and doesn't permit contact with air until it has exited the tube through the liquid, where it is much less likely to form a crust. I suspect a blowoff can also plug and allow pressure to build, but its much less likely.

What is the best way to add a blowoff to a bucket fermenter that only has a small hole for the typical airlock? I was thinking I could remove the guts of the 3 piece airlock and just add a large tube to it and down to a blow off container.

Okay so it's the morning after everything has completely overflowed I've taken the airlock off 3 or four times to clean it and finally I just put it on without the cap...
It seems now everything has settled way down so I am going to remove and clean the airlock one last time.. Pour alcohol over the bung first right? removed the airlock clean the airlock put the airlock back in and add fresh vodka...?

Never needed a Blow-off except on time I added strawberries in a carboy. Mostly use buckets and never had an issue.

Back