What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came to Willimantic to drop off beer for a comp, stayed for some Willibrew. This is V.E.G (Very Extreme Grapefruit) IPA. Pretty good. Not kidding about the grapefruit.

1397838781776.jpg

IBC Cream Soda with lunch while I plan out my 2014 Christmas beer.

I did a Porter for 2013 with a little vanilla and chocolate (OG only about 1.055). I'm thinking of using the same recipe but just going bigger with everything. OG around 1.080, more chocolate and more vanilla. I'm also thinking I'll add lactose.

I've never used lactose before. Will 1 pound for a 5 gallon batch be too much? I assume there is a significant difference in the mouth feel with lactose, right? Last year's was a little thin for my liking.

A pound is fine for 5 gallons. It will make it a little sweeter and just more body. I have used a pound in a smaller beer and it turned out great.

A pound is fine for 5 gallons. It will make it a little sweeter and just more body. I have used a pound in a smaller beer and it turned out great.

I'll second that, 1lb for 5gal is the ratio I use. If you taste the lactose before you add it you will notice it isn't that sweet, but it helps the mouthfeel and adds creaminess.

I'll have to add, only on a homebrew forum in an alchie thread should a bunch of guys talk about mouthfeel and creaminess. :drunk:

I'll second that, 1lb for 5gal is the ratio I use. If you taste the lactose before you add it you will notice it isn't that sweet, but it helps the mouthfeel and adds creaminess.

I'll have to add, only on a homebrew forum in an alchie thread should a bunch of guys talk about mouthfeel and creaminess. :drunk:

Thanks. I am more interested in adding mouth feel than with sweetness. So I guess 1 lb. it is.

Lemonade.

No hot water again despite the "fix" yesterday. Now they're saying that I need to wait for my next appointment...Tuesday. So happy to have a home warranty so I can delay repairs and wait around for people to do their job.

Electric or gas heat? Is it the element or breaker for electric, if gas does it fire? Did some jerkwad turn off the valve that turns off water from the heater (my father used to do this if he thought you were taking too long in the shower).

I'm picking up something for a trade today. I'm going to look for that while I'm at the store. Maybe Chillwave, if I can find it, too.

Chillwave is really good not a trace of the 9+% abv so it sneaks up on you after a couple

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Electric or gas heat? Is it the element or breaker for electric, if gas does it fire? Did some jerkwad turn off the valve that turns off water from the heater (my father used to do this if he thought you were taking too long in the shower).

Gas. It fired up yesterday, I cannot get it to fire up today. Nothing is off that shouldn't be. I turned the gas off since I can't get the pilot to light. I'm frustrated. They said pilots don't just go out where my water heater is and it's likely a bad thermal coupling but they're not replacing until it happens 3 times. Well ****, this is twice and now I have 4 days of cold ass showers. I go up and try to get the pilot to light every so often but no go so far.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397844598.078455.jpg

Water with a chicken sandwich for lunch.

Just mashed-in. This may be the first time I ever brew without drinking a beer. ****.

Picked-up a 10-lb. angus prime rib roast which I will be smoking on Easter. Gonna be a good weekend.

More coffee while making last minute tweaks to the recipe for a test batch of German hopped IPA to use some free samples I got from a hop vendor. Anyone have experience with Hallertau Blanc or Hull Melon hops?

More coffee while making last minute tweaks to the recipe for a test batch of German hopped IPA to use some free samples I got from a hop vendor. Anyone have experience with Hallertau Blanc or Hull Melon hops?

The Alchemist does. Have MrNick ship you some new stuff. :D

The Alchemist does. Have MrNick ship you some new stuff. :D

Thank's for the information :D Confirms my thoughts that I will most likely start using these hops quite a bit. Still trying to decide what I'm going to throw the Mandarina Bavaria hops in.

View attachment 194111

Water with a chicken sandwich for lunch.

Just mashed-in. This may be the first time I ever brew without drinking a beer. ****.

Picked-up a 10-lb. angus prime rib roast which I will be smoking on Easter. Gonna be a good weekend.

I assume you really do mean Prime. People around here (restaurants included) will refer to any old rib roast as "Prime Rib."

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397848524.632434.jpg

Finally found my way out of my basement to enjoy a yuengling and 'gar on the back porch. Just because I did that, the sun that has been shining all day went and hid behind an assload of clouds. Now it's chilly. Whatever. My bottle washer is almost complete. Just need a bit more powerful pump. Just a wee bit. Like, 1/6 more powerful.

Sent from my GameBoy using Super Mario Bros. 3

Back