Holy blow out tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_E

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of Dennys rye P.A. Yesterday and put it in a 6 gal bucket. I made a two qt starter and the batch ended up being 5.25 - 5.5 gallons. The air lock was going within a couple of hours and this morning it was at full blast. Mid day I noticed kreusen in the air lock. After cleaning it twice I decided I needed a blow out tube. Never needed one before. Hooked it up and I'm glad I did. Thing is kicking like Bruce Lee! So much crap coming through it's making the starsan in the jug overflow.

I've never had such an aggressive fermentation.

BTW - I used Greenbelt yeast that my brother gave me as a gift. He flew in with it from Austin so iwasnt sure what kind of shape it would be in. ...guess it was ok.

I always use a blow off tube for primary just for that reason. I also made that beer already and it is very good.

I had to do that today for my first batch ever. Airlock got clogged 2x in an hour on my dunkelweizen. Went out and made a blow out tube and its working alot better. I might try the airlock again in my secondary but I'll be gone that week so maybe I'll just stick with the tube

Mine went crazy for two days straight, then calmed down some last night. I popped the air lock in and all seems well. Nice to have such a vigorous fermentation. I bet its already 90% done.

Just make sure your catch tank is big enough or you might go check on your beer and find...

mess3.jpg

-Joe

After reading numerous horror stories on this board, I make it a regular practice to use a blowoff tube for the first 48-72 hours of vigorous fermentation. If it is still fermenting vigorously after 72 hours, I'll leave the blowoff in until the process calms down. When I rack it over to secondary/brite tank, I use the regular three-piece airlock. It's called "peace of mind."

glenn514:mug:

Just make sure your catch tank is big enough or you might go check on your beer and find...

mess3.jpg

-Joe

Nice. At least it wasn't an explosion. That's what I was worried about.

I've never even had close to this problem until this batch. Blow off tube may be a good practice for every batch.

What size tubing do you use from the carboy to overflow? The mouth of the carboy is pretty large? Are you using a stopper, sran wrap, duct tape, or?

I bought some cheap tubing from HD. I don't know the OD off hand, but it was a VERY snug fit in the top of my bucket. I had to cut at a sharp angle and use some force to get it in. This created a tight seal.

Nice, that picture of the overflowing growler looks just like my last couple batches, especially my RIS, where I used a couple packets of notty, and really aerated the batch.

Back