Looking for Pliny the Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtduffy

Reaction score
I'll be in the Santa Cruz / Watsonville / Monterey area over Presidents day weekend. Anyone know a place in that area I could pick up some Pliny?

A little out of your way but I hear its going to be at Russian River Brewing Co. in Santa Rosa.

Elder or Younger? I ask because I was under the impression that the Elder was readily available year round up that way. I know I picked up a bunch of 16 oz bottles of Elder last year on a trip to Livermore.

I was just looking for Elder at this point. Of course if the Younger is on tap anywhere near where I'd be all over that.

I know I could get Pliny the Elder at the brewery. I was hoping for a store / bar closer to the Monterey / Santa Cruz area.

Well you can get Pliny in bottles at some Whole Foods around here, in addition to some bottle shops. And there are bottles of other stuff floating around as well. I know where I can pick up Temptation, for example.

Well it looks like whole foods in Los Gatos carries Russian River. So since I'll be driving by Los Gatos to get to Watsonville I'll make a pit stop. Thanks for the help.

Im guessing you've already worked out the issue... but i just saw consecration over at the whole foods here in santa cruz... meaning they carry russian river... so maybe pliny? im going to try and find out.

They have Pliny the Elder at AJs Market in Soquel, CA right by Cabrillo College. That's the only place you can get it in Santa Cruz County. They have it on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the Whole Foods and Lunardi's in Los Gatos. If AJs doesn't have Pliny which they usually do they have Blind Pig, Supplication, and another Russian River plus an awesome beer section. AJs is actually a Chevron Gas Station as well. But the owner just purchases the gas from Chevron and is completely independent besides that.

Irrenarzt said:
Elder or Younger? I ask because I was under the impression that the Elder was readily available year round up that way. I know I picked up a bunch of 16 oz bottles of Elder last year on a trip to Livermore.

Younger is hard to get and only available in Feb

Elder is decent, but I've had beers that I liked a little better.
I think they benefit from the whole "limited supplies only" thing...

Always check the bottle date. Believe it or not, they sit in stores for a while and the sought after flavor and aroma is gone. 3-4 weeks after bottle date and you're safe. Much after that and you may be disappointed.

i like blind pig better than pliny the elder.
This. +1. Agreed. etc...

Always check the bottle date. Believe it or not, they sit in stores for a while and the sought after flavor and aroma is gone. 3-4 weeks after bottle date and you're safe. Much after that and you may be disappointed.
So I've heard, after my first pliny and I found out it was two months old.
I found one that was three weeks in the bottle and I wasn't much more impressed.

He's here somewhere...

408px-Pompeii_Garden_of_the_Fugitives_02.jpg

11553473.jpg

As stated above, I would try wholefoods first. Most of the wholefoods in the sf bay area get weekly shipments of Pliny.

Do you guys realize this thread is over a year old? I'm sure the guy is no longer on his Presidents day trip there...

P.S. I was told Younger is pretty much gone the first day it's released.

You can get Pliny the Elder on Tuesdays at Whole Foods, and Lunardi's in San Jose and Los Gatos. In Santa Cruz you can get it at Ajs by Cabrillo College. In Oakland there are so many places you can get it as well as San Francisco. You can go to Russian River's website to figure out where they carry it.

Back