Save Berliner Weisse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
I made a berliner weiss and pitched a wyeast pure lactobacillus culture at the same time as european ale yeast- it turned out ok, with good flavor, but just not enough sourness

do you think i should buy some lactic acid from my LHBS and try to sour it up and bottle it? Or should i just get rid of it?

I made a berliner weiss and pitched a wyeast pure lactobacillus culture at the same time as european ale yeast- it turned out ok, with good flavor, but just not enough sourness

do you think i should buy some lactic acid from my LHBS and try to sour it up and bottle it? Or should i just get rid of it?

How long has it been in secondary? How warm have you been conditioning?

You really can't rush sour beers - they need time to develop. My last BW aged for 3 months before it reached a punchy sourness.

its been in the primary for about a month now- i kept it in the mid-70's for a few weeks, but it doesnt seem to be getting any more sour AT ALL

A month isn't nearly enough time. Rack it over to secondary and forget about it for a few more months. It'll be perfect this summer. You can't rush this process.

Do you have a nice pellicle yet?

Back