Stopper size for Santa Cruz Applejuice Gallon glass jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffalupagus

Reaction score
hey guys, looks like the Santa Cruz Apple Juice may be part of (or the entire) juice base for my first personal foray into Home brewing - a 5 gallon batch of dry edworts Apfelwine inspired cider
I intend to put the resulting 5 or so glass jugs to work for me as additional small batch fermenters. The touble here is - there is NO such thing as a LHBS
on maui :mad: meaning I can't take the jug to a store and make sure a stopper fits, it also means I have no choice but to order the supplies that I need via internet.( that means by the way... dry yeasts only, because it's a 3+ day trip for the little liquid beasties and it's 80* year round) So anyone using Santa cruz Glass jugs? got a stopper size to help a noob out?

Hi snuffalupagus: I don't know about the jugs Santa Cruz uses, but I DO know that the 1 gallon glass jugs I use to ferment in have an opening that is exactly 1 3/16" inside diameter & I use a # 6 1/2 stopper. This combo works great for me, not sure if it'll work for your jug or not, but that's what I got. Hope it's useful to you. Regards, GF.

Measure the inside diameter of the opening of the bottle and then lookup what size stopper will fit. MoreBeer.com, for example, lists the sizes (in inches) of their stoppers on their website, so you can be sure to get one that will fit.

Stoppers are cheap!

Who knows what different size mouths the possible combination of bottles and jugs, glass and/or plastic, will have, that will be comming your way in the future?

Get five or six stoppers in every size that you can find!!!!

Pogo

Stoppers are cheap!

Who knows what different size mouths the possible combination of bottles and jugs, glass and/or plastic, will have, that will be comming your way in the future?

Get five or six stoppers in every size that you can find!!!!

Pogo
yeah... stoppers are cheap, but shipping anything to Hawaii from the mainland is NOT. I'd like to avoid buying anything unless I know for sure it's going to suit my needs.

hey guys, looks like the Santa Cruz Apple Juice may be part of (or the entire) juice base for my first personal foray into Home brewing - a 5 gallon batch of dry edworts Apfelwine inspired cider
I intend to put the resulting 5 or so glass jugs to work for me as additional small batch fermenters. The touble here is - there is NO such thing as a LHBS
on maui :mad: meaning I can't take the jug to a store and make sure a stopper fits, it also means I have no choice but to order the supplies that I need via internet.( that means by the way... dry yeasts only, because it's a 3+ day trip for the little liquid beasties and it's 80* year round) So anyone using Santa cruz Glass jugs? got a stopper size to help a noob out?

Just had a thought: why not drill a hole into each of the caps your juice came with, just the size of an airlock shaft; if the shaft itself doesn't fit snug enough, you could wrap a small strip of duct tape around the part that will be making contact with the cap to make a sort of pressure seal. Or you could use some sort of putty, or aquarium sealant & this would give you an airtight seal. At the very least, it'll tide you over till your next HBS order arrives. Like I said, just a thought. Regards, GF.

Just had a thought: why not drill a hole into each of the caps your juice came with, just the size of an airlock shaft; if the shaft itself doesn't fit snug enough, you could wrap a small strip of duct tape around the part that will be making contact with the cap to make a sort of pressure seal. Or you could use some sort of putty, or aquarium sealant & this would give you an airtight seal. At the very least, it'll tide you over till your next HBS order arrives. Like I said, just a thought. Regards, GF.

Ive done this, it works very well. You can also use saran wrap or something to make it tight. Just take the liner out (if it has one). Why buy something that you already have?

Back