Stinky Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMohan13

Reaction score
So I just made a starter with Wyeast 3787 High Gravity Trappist Yeast, When i pitched, the yeast didn't smell particularly good, and definitely didn't smell considerable "yeasty." I'm not sure quite how to describe the smell, but it completely lacked the sort of doughy yeast flavor I've smelled in any other yeast. I guess the starter will be the proof, but any other experiences with this yeast? Cause for concern?

i would almost say it smelled like dog foodesque, i'm really trying to put a positive spin on this...

If it smells bad, then there should be a problem with your yeast.
Did you taste the starter "beer"? How does that taste?

so there is a layer of yeast on the bottom of the starter, no visible signs that there was any krausen, and it still smells not like beer, and more like vegetable soup with mushrooms. There is also a black layer of liquid on top that is odd. I'm thinking it's not looking so hot. I have a bottle of Westmalle Tripel which i will try culturing from. If not I'll just buy another pack and hope for the best.

Back