AHB Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimney

Reaction score
Has anyone tryed the Brown Porter extract kit from AHB?

None of their kits list DME as an ingredient. Do they not contain any? (I need some for my starter...might just have to buy some xtra light DME)

Anyone ever get the alcohol boost? Is it worth it? Does it change flavor?

I have heard of people using LME in starters, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not. I haven't used the alcohol boost but it supposedly isn't supposed to make a huge difference in the finished product, other than an extra 1% ABV.

I used to take a bit of the LME from a recipe and use it for a starter. Then I would toss the entire starter in. Now I keep a bag of DME around just for starters, drain the starter wort and only pitch the yeast slurry.

Both ways work. It is just now I don't take any extract away from a recipe for the starter.

There is a full long debated thread on the Booster including a lot of input from the owner of AHB (forest) it's worth searching for if you are interested.
It will change the profile of the brew even if by an unnoticeable amount. I've never used it so can't comment.

It's worth buying extra DME for starters so you are not reducing the amount in the brew.

Back