AHS Honey Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much clover honey is used is AHS' Honey Blonde Ale? Also, do you know when it's supposed to be added?

Thanks,

:tank:

I don't know if this helps, but I used clover honey in my last AG blonde and I only used 1 lb. at the VERY end (last minute) of the boil. The yeast seems to be doing very well with that. I used Burton yeast since that flavor is already present with that strain. I wanted to accentuate it in small amounts as an essence in the beer. Anyways, from what I have read, 1 lb. is a lighter flavor with added fermentables, while 2 lbs is going to be a pretty noticeable flavor.

Best of luck!

Burton's yeast? I may be having a brain fart here but I am not familiar with the name. Is there another yeast (preferably a dry that is comparable to it) that you know of that would work well?

thanks,

1-800-890-BREW

I'm sure if you called Austin Homebrew Supply, they would answer. Also, if you list Austin Homebrew Supply instead of AHS, Forrest will pick up the thread and read it when he searches for AHS threads and he'll probably answer.

Eric

1-800-890-BREW

I'm sure if you called Austin Homebrew Supply, they would answer. Also, if you list Austin Homebrew Supply instead of AHS, Forrest will pick up the thread and read it when he searches for AHS threads and he'll probably answer.

Eric

Yeah I know but I feel kinda *****ey calling him or emailing him and asking for his recipe when I am just going to use ingredients I already have here instead of buying his kit. By asking you guys I feel a little less *****ey. I didn't type the whole name out because I do know that's how he searches.

Burton's yeast? I may be having a brain fart here but I am not familiar with the name. Is there another yeast (preferably a dry that is comparable to it) that you know of that would work well?

thanks,

I wasn't familiar with it either, but I ran across it and it sounded like a pretty versatile yeast with flavors of pears and clover honey. A week in I can smell the pear/fruit tones when I open the fermenter. It is a honey blonde, so if the description is correct, then those flavors should be pretty easy to pick out. Will be interesting. I believe it is Wyeast. Maybe you could try a Kölsch yeast? If you want to pull out fruit flavors though (particularly strawberry for me), I would recommend the SafAle S-04 pretty highly. The Burton SHOULD accentuate your clover honey though if you want to give it a shot.

i used 33 liquid ounces (3-11oz bottles)in a raspberry honey lager and it fermented out with the yeast (california lager)but left an AWESOME aroma. The dudes at the beer shop recommended to always put it in the boil because the end product will be far superior then bottling with honey. :rockin:

Back