Corking Belgian style bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever re corked a Ommengang bottle? These are real nice bottles and would make a great presentation as a gift or for a party. What kind of equipment would you need if it was possible?

How about this:

and some wires.

I think they will hold pressure, might want to check that first though.

Brew-boy said:
Has anyone ever re corked a Ommengang bottle? These are real nice bottles and would make a great presentation as a gift or for a party. What kind of equipment would you need if it was possible?
Ommegang bottles and Belgian bottles (Ommegang is an American brewery) can be corked with a champagne corker and champagne corks. These are available from most home brew beer and wine making shops. The corkers are fairly expensive but can also be used for wine if you start making wine. You will also need the wires to prevent the corks from popping.
Alternatively I believe you can cap the bottles. It will probably require the larger caps and a different bell on you capper but it is possible. The Agata bench capper can take the larger bell for champagne and Belgian bottles and is much less expensive than the corker. It is also pretty nice for your standard bottles.

Craig

Ommegang and other bottles of that style CANNOT be capped. Other Belgian and champagne bottles can be (Chouffe bottles for example). The Ommegang style bottles need a champagne cork and a wire cage. I know all the LHBS around me will rent a floor corker for a day for pretty cheap (~15-20). That would be my suggestion. I have been saving my Ommegang bottles as well for the next time I brew a Trappist style or some other big Belgian worth aging.

I know B3 has the corks and wire hoods you need for this.

I have done these before. At the time, I rented a champagne floor corker from a LHBS in Michigan. I have since gotten into wine making and have more Belgians planned. As such, I just bought a champagne floor corker....in fact it came in last night.
:mug:

Does anyone know where to purchase Ommegang style bottles?
I love their brews, but if I wanted to spend that much on 30 bottles of beer, I wouldn't be a homebrewer. :cross:

Nice! thanks!
When I first started brewing, I was told you can't recork ommegang bottles. I'd hate to know how many Three Philosophers bottles I threw in the recycle bin, instead of keeping. :(

The last time I went to a beer tasting I asked the Unibroue guy if I could take the bottles. I walked away with three cases of empty belgian beer bottles (and a few full ones:rockin:).

Back