Wyeast VSS French Saison #3711 Available

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
landhoney said:
I don't know how you could possibly know this.....but I am. You must be talking to someone else, but my LHBS really let me down with this one, they could get it and then they couldn't - back and forth for ~1-2 months. So I need to order it. Its supposed to be great BTW.

Is there a decent (available) Saison you could recomend to someone who has never had one?

SuperiorBrew said:
Is there a decent (available) Saison you could recomend to someone who has never had one?

I'd try one first - but I don't want to discourage. Dupont is pretty available and is a 'classic' saison. If you like it, their yeast is Wyeast Saison or Whitelabs Saison I(565). The flavor profile is pretty close.
Wyeast Saison is good, Whitelabs 565 can have attenuation issues(Saisons should finish very dry) so be prepared to pitch another already working yeast into it. I've tried WL Saison II(566?) and it is OK. I really want to try their Saison Blend. I just used Wyeast's Forbidden Fruit, but the beers not done yet.
Why not just order 3711?

What I don't get about this is why they're releasing this yeast now -- in the dead of winter for most of the US. Saison does best when fermented warm. That's why saisons are brewed in the spring and early summer. So what's with releasing the yeast when it can't be used to its full potential?

Chad

Chad said:
What I don't get about this is why they're releasing this yeast now -- in the dead of winter for most of the US. Saison does best when fermented warm. That's why saisons are brewed in the spring and early summer. So what's with releasing the yeast when it can't be used to its full potential?
Chad

I put mine by a space heater, so they get plenty hot, 80F+. Not that you don't make a good point, it is strange. :D

Back