Oatmeal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolves63

Reaction score
So I have roasted oats for brew day coming up and I saw a post about stepping the temperature and wanted to make sure I got a good explanation so I understood what unneeded to do. Someone mind taking the time to help me out.

It sounds like you're planning a stepped mash. A stepped mash is not necessary but might prove helpful in certain situations. In the case of oats, it's possible that a short protein rest (15-20 minutes) and a much lower temperature (120-133) could aid in reducing cloudiness from the oats and/or reducing their stickiness in the mash thus reducing the tendency for your lauter to stick.

To get better help you could post the recipe and process you're planning on following so we could better explain some of the steps. Again, if it's a small addition of oats then there is a good chance that no additional temperature steps are needed during your mash. Most times, a single infusion mash will suffice but not if you're trying to recreate a historic process.

If you are steeping them, then you do not need to do a step mash. 30 minutes at 150°F will do fine.

If you are mashing them, you'll need malted grains with plenty of diastatic power, or an enzyme blend that contains protease, beta-glucanase, and both alpha- and beta-amylase. Either way, you will want to boil the oats separately first, then you'll want to step-mash as follows:
Step 1: 30 minutes at between 90°F and 120°F (I'm not sure what's optimal, it will depend on your source of enzymes)
Step 2: 30 minutes at 135°F
Step 3: Saccharification rest between 145°F and 155°F--lower for more beta activity and a drier/more highly-attenuated beer, higher for more alpha activity and a sweeter/lower-attenuated beer.
Step 4: Mash out at 170°F

Just to add a point, some have noted that the sorghum "Twang" is reduced when the Sorghum Syrup is a later addition to the boil.
Good luck!

Back