oxygenate or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfnturf

Reaction score
I've been brewing all grain for a few years now and am going to try a kit wine for my wife. I have a Williams oxygen setup but I don't see anywhere if I should inject o2 into the wine prior to pitching.

I dont make wine, but with the higher abv of wine I would guess the yeast very much need o2 like any other brew or cider. Unless they have some other trick..

I have never made wine from a kit. I would assume the directions are going to be the way you should prepare it. I have never oxygenated any of my wines I have done. Of course I start out with some wines in a bucket and for the first 5 days or so I mix it every day so that does introduce some oxygen, but really I'm trying to mix the fruit around. I have also done wine from just store bought juice, put it in a larger carboy then the amount I'm brewing, and threw an airlock on it and it has had no problems. If the directions dont call for oxygenating, I personally wouldn't do it.

Thanks. The kit instructions are silent on the issue. I know all the dissolved o2 is driven off during a boil, hence the need for o2 injection when beer making, but I guess I will skip it and see how it goes.

You won't be boiling anything in your wine kit. Oxygenating is recommended, but not 100% necessary. The yeast you'll probably be using (EC-1118) goes like gangbusters. If you feel like you want to oxygenate, just use a sanitized whisk and give the must a good whipping for a couple minutes.

If it doesn't hurt the wine to lay the carboy on its side and shake the hell out of it, the I would do it. Why not. If adding oxygen to the must may hurt the wine, then I wouldn't add any. Your right, you would have more oxygen then a wort, but as far as beer goes its hard to over do it.

You oxygenate at the beginning of a ferment, because yeast need oxygen to get going, but you try to avoid oxygenating later in the ferment.

As far as shaking the carboy, I've done that before. You need to have a solid, secure bung though!

Back