mash tun too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman1407

Reaction score
Is there a such thing as too big of a mash tun? I have been using a 5 gal igloo and was looking to upgrade. I looked at a 70 quart cooler. Is that too big to use for higher 5 gal batches and 10 gal batches? If so, is there a rule of thumb for such things???

I don't think so u should be fine I don't see a problem with that. You may have a different temp lose is all

metalbrewer said:
I don't think so u should be fine I don't see a problem with that. You may have a different temp lose is all

Well it is one of those 5 day coolers, which is why I thought to get it.

I'd be worried about 2 things: temp loss and grain-bed depth.

A 70 quart cooler will hold about a 45 pound mash full, so use that as your barometer for space used vs head space in the tun. Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in with the science behind heat dissipation to air in a closed vessel.

dcHokie said:
I'd be worried about 2 things: temp loss and grain-bed depth.

A 70 quart cooler will hold about a 45 pound mash full, so use that as your barometer for space used vs head space in the tun. Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in with the science behind heat dissipation to air in a closed vessel.

Yea the grain bed and extra space is what rose a concern to me too

I remember reading somewhere that you want to have at least a 4" deep grain bed. Don't know if that's mostly for fly sparging or just in general. Keep in mind I'm just a beginner myself.

if your batch sparging grain bed depth is not that critical. I use a 70 qt cooler for my huge 5 gal and for 10 gal batches it works just fine. you my lose a degree or two over an hour but my extreme holds temps well. For most of my 5 gal batches I prefer useing a 48qt cooler for better heat retention.

I use a 70 quart Igloo Max Cold Cube for my MLT. It works great. I use a copper manifold and a typical 5 gallon batch of moderate strength fills about 1/3 of the tun. I tend to preheat the mash tun with water 10 degrees above strike and let it sit for 10 minutes. Usually after that its right at strike temp or a little higher.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I generally don't lose any temp during the 60 minute mash.

slightly off topic but those 70 qt square igloo max cold roller coolers can't actually hold 70 qts. (although the rectangular extreme ones are different) They have a lid that is domed and they count that volume in the lid towards the total cooler volume. I have the 54 qt version (exactly the same but with flat lid) and it holds the same useful volume for mashing.

Only noticed when I compared mine to a buddy's side by side.

ArtVandelay said:
slightly off topic but those 70 qt square igloo max cold roller coolers can't actually hold 70 qts. (although the rectangular extreme ones are different) They have a lid that is domed and they count that volume in the lid towards the total cooler volume. I have the 54 qt version (exactly the same but with flat lid) and it holds the same useful volume for mashing.

Yea I was looking at both but was leaning more toward the square flat top one without the wheels. That dome top had me thinking the same thing

Amazon has it 65% off though... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6UJ5K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I might be able to over look the dome for that price.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a Coleman 70 qt X-Treme and ~33 lbs of grain is about max for it at 1:1. I don't like to mash any thicker than that. Rarely I'll do a 5 gallon ~1.050 batch & will have a little higher heat loss so I mash in a little higher, ~2F. Cheers!!!

I use the Coleman 70qt Extreme and it works GREAT with my 5 gallon batches. I recently did a 2.5 gallon batch with this mash tun and had problems holding heat. I think there was too much dead space.

I've got a 70qt Coleman, that I've used for mashes from 15 lbs. up to 40 lbs. without any issues. I have a copper manifold and only batch sparge.
20110102120539318.jpg

I don't bother with 5 gallon batches. Why do the same amount of work to produce less beer? :p

cravej said:
I've got a 70qt Coleman, that I've used for mashes from 15 lbs. up to 40 lbs. without any issues. I have a copper manifold and only batch sparge.

I don't bother with 5 gallon batches. Why do the same amount of work to produce less beer? :p

Love it. Exactly, I feel the same way. Quick question, do you have a quick or easy schematic for the copper manifold?

Another solution to use a bigger mash tun for 5 gallon batches is no sparge brewing. I read an article about it in BYO and have tried three batches. You just mash in with all of your strike water and sparge water at the same time. The extra water eliminates the extra head space. An added bonus is the author of the article claims that you get a cleaner malt profile from the technique.

Back