Confusing hop timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caligula

Reaction score
Doing my first all grain and was given a recipe by someone. It calls for 60 minute boil and hop additions at 0 minutes in, 45 minutes in, beging wort chiller at 45 in also, hop addition at 60 in. Then, it says ferment 2 weeks, then another hop addition.

I've always removed my hop bags after the boil. Does this recipe imply that I do so, but leave in the last (60 min in) hop addition in the fermenter, and add more after 2 week fermentation and let ut sit longer?

A little help please.

My guess is that's a dry hopping. Is it an IPA or something similar that calls for a lot of hop aroma? In this case, don't leave the bag in. Let it sit normally for two weeks, then rack to a secondary, and put in a new hop bag. Not sure how long to leave it in for, but I'm sure there are scads of threads on the subject.

The last one is a "flamoeout" addition. Whether or not you take your hop bags from earlier additions out, the flameout addition gets left in - don't use a bag, just throw the hops in the brewpot. Depending on how you cool and whirlpool etc, somewhere between some and most of the hops will get into your fermenter. That's OK. Many of us don't even use hop bags for any of our hop additions, lots of hops gets into our fermenters and the beer tastes great!

The one after 2 weeks is a dryhop, as Djfriesen says. You can add those directly to your primary, rather than racking to secondary if you want. You can bag them or not (I dryhop with a bag, but many don't). Dryhopping is usually for 7 days. Too much longer than that and some varieties of hops develop a grassy, vegetal character.

Back