Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well was it done? My guess is no. Mine ~8 butt took 15hrs. Turned out awesome, I'm glad I put it on the night before.

Brining a chicken for a Thanksgiving dry run. I don't need practice with poultry, but I do want a little practice holding 325 in the WSM in breezy mid-30s temps. I have a good windbreak, the DigiQ, a water pan filled with sand, etc., so I think I should be good.

Pulled off at 182. Good enough for me! Was good!

good to hear!

Next time around throw it on the night before. This way you'll have plenty of time to throw it in a cooler with a towel wrapped around when it's done.

My favorite Pork Butt accessory is my Bear Paws:

images

images

I usually smoke two butts at a time, they usually total about 15 lbs. I smoke them for roughly 12 hours. They come out amazing. Mopping is a must.

I do want those claws.

Oh yeah, Bear Paws are nice. I've found if ya do it right though, two forks pull right through the hog. I find the 1.5-2 hours per lb. to be too short for a butt, I like to let the butt hit ~190 for a bit of time before she's done. For prep; a gentle rub, no trimming (that fat layer is crucial). I smoke with the fat layer up, never ever flip, no mop (a good butt doesn't really need it), I keep a water pan in the smoker and hit it with smoke for the first 4-5 hours. When it hits ~190, I let it sit for maybe another 30 mins and then take 'er off. Easy, tender, juicy and so very tasty.

Drew, one thing I should mention is every time you open your cooker to spritz, flip, get a temp reading you are not cooking. A lot of folks believe that for every time you open up the cooker it adds 15 min to the overall cook time. When I cook a butt I open the cooker once during the middle of the cook, and then only at the very end checking for probe tenderness.

Just put a 10lb whole packer brisket on the kamado. I'm following amazingribs.com recipe. It started out about 11.5 lb before I trimmed the fat. It'll rock out at ~225F til the stall then I'll utilize the Texas Crutch. I added a few fresh chunks of an oak bourbon barrel for some flavor.

Done this morning---over night cold smoke of 1/2 pork belly. 2 weeks in the fridge with Pink Salt, kosher salt, brown sugar and pepper.

Over night in the smoker (was only 40 F outside last night) cold smoke with trager apple pellets

t

Well i couldn't get the temp below 250 and the brisket is done already. Probably should have waited til 3am or 4am to put it on. Oh well, it's resting in a cooler until ready to eat later on.

Couldn't find ribs so I opted to do a smoked pork tenderloin and some wings for the game. I used my favorite pork rub on the tenderloin and used webers beer can chicken seasoning rub on the wings. Should be pretty good!

Made a bunch of smoked hot wings. I normally use apple or cherry with yardbird but since these were coated in Texas Pete wing sawce at the end I wanted a bolder smoke flavor. Went with hickory instead. Used some slap yo daddy Cajun rub before they went on the kettle.

Turned out great. Sliced smoked pork last night, early morning Pork hash, and a toasted PLT with garlicky aioli for lunch.

image-3584654197.jpg

image-578914740.jpg

Hers the smoked pork loin! Came out amazing! Used a pork rub combined with a smokes maple rub!

Just pulled a couple pounds of venison jerkey out an hour ago.... got too busy yesterday so it marinated a full 48 hrs and tastes amazing

Did a chicken last night - my first time using hickory, and it turned out great! SWMBO boiled the carcass down to make a really good smokey chicken soup for Sunday night.

Half a dozen summer sausages made from deer and pork mixed...... just came out an hour ago and it is delicious.

Not ready to smoke yet, but these ladies are coming along nicely.

image-3956287418.jpg

Sorghum, garlic, and black pepper bacon.

4# venison
2# pork
4 tbsp sea salt
3 tsp coarse black pepper
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt cure

Course grind meats
Mix in all and let cure overnight
Stuff casings and smoke
About ten hours at 180

I've also done this with Cheddar diced small and mixed in and recently tried one with cheese and hot peppers diced into the meat...... works great

Smallish pork butt on the kettle tomorrow. Gonna experiment with injecting. I inject yardbird all the time but never a butt or brisky. So we will see. My main concern is the marinade making the butt too salty. Gonna use cajun butter with apple juice and cider vinegar. probably more vinegar and juice than the creole butter just to be on the safe side.

Thinking about smoking a turkey breast but if I break out the smoker then I'll probably use the extra room to smoke more stuff and keep it going most of the afternoon which means I'll lose a lot of time I need this weekend to work on a paper.

Pork Shoulder Sunday... pulled pork sandwiches with carolina style sauce for dinner that night.

I would like to hear your spin on carolina sauce and pulled pork sammies. So many different styles out there - it's great to hear others thoughts.

Here is the sauce I use:
½ cup mustard
½ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
¼ cup beer
3 tbs chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
½ tsp cayenne
½ tsp soy sauce
2 tbs butter
1 tbs liquid smoke, hickory

Mix all except soy sauce, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes, stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Makes 2 cups

Throw some pulled pork on a bun, spoon sauce over the meat and then put a healthy spoonful of coleslaw, grab a bunch of napkins and chow down
8195530446_98722570d0.jpg

Back