extract dopplebock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjm76

Reaction score
kicking around making an extract dopplebock: Here is my baseline......opinions please:

8.8 # Weyermanns Amber Munich LME
3# M&F light DME
1# caramunich
.5# carafa II
.25# carapils

1 oz Tettnang 60 min

questions on this does anyone know a supplier for dehusked carafa malt, so I can get the color without much roasted flavor. Also a good hop profile for this beer? I want it to be dominated by malty flavors but not overwhelmed.

I recently did my first Doppelbock after some research and I think you're on track. However, since this is my first please take my advice with a grain of malt.

I used a very similar (although AG) recipe to what you have. My advice would be to reduce the Carafa II by half. I went with 4oz and the roastiness came through well, though it will be several months before I really know.

I found dehusked Carafa II (Carafa special) at Midwest: www.midwestsupplies.com, as well as everything else I needed. I'm not sure what extracts they carry.

The Tettnang bittering addition sounds good...I would aim for ~25 IBU's and not do any further hopping.

Which yeast are you using? I went with the Wyeast Bavarian Lager. There's some discussion ongoing in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7181&highlight=Doppelbock

I was kicking around the wyeast bavarian lager strain 2066? How big of a starter will that take? I'm sure with all those fermentables the takeoff could be a little sluggish.

The 2206, I think. Supposedly a good choice and less finicky than the Munich yeast.

Do a 1g starter minimum. That's what I did and really it's optimum for a normal gravity lager, not a Doppelbock, but that's what I had the capacity to do. It started in <24hrs at 50F which is pretty decent.

Back