How long do you leave yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B192734

Reaction score
Hey everyone. How long does everyone leave their beers in a secondary fermenter? Just wondering if there is a point where it's too long or to short. Just wondering in general.

Hey everyone. How long does everyone leave their beers in a secondary fermenter? Just wondering if there is a point where it's too long or to short. Just wondering in general.

About 1 to 2 weeks for APA and IPA. Just long enough to dry hop and clear. Oud Bruin is at 8 months in secondary :D. Medium ABV beers just long enough to clear. Bigger ABV beers can be left to bulk age for quite a while.

Dont even use secondary, myself, with the exception of my Mead.

Otherwise its extended primary then straight to bottles.

You'll hear a lot of different opinions on this.

For most beers I just do a 3-4 week primary and then it goes to the keg.

When I do secondary it's either to dry hop or bulk age a big beer. Dry hopping is no more than 2 weeks, and bulk aging I've done about 3-4 months without any issues.

You'll hear a lot of different opinions on this.

I figured so. Just looking around at what other people do trying to broaden my horizons. I've done both primary and secondary and multiple lengths on both. At first, just a week in the primary then straight to bottle, and also 3 weeks primary and then secondary for another 3-4 weeks for a biggun. I know there are arguments for both.

No secondary for me, unless I'm dry hopping and want to wash and reuse yeast from the primary.

It depends on the beer, but 3 weeks or so in primary usually. Sometimes more.

Back