True Brew Belgian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim4065

Reaction score
This is my third batch, and was brewed Saturday. The fermentation wasn't very vigorous, maybe 'cause I ran it at 65 degrees in the new chiller. Anyway, it's through fermenting and is starting to clarify - I took the ice out of the chiller to let it warm to 68 (house temp).

This stuff has a very sharp and sour smell, which brings up the question - is this normal? They didn't call it a "Lambic", and I sure didn't knowingly add any kind of bacteria - so what's up? Does anyone have experience with this extract kit? I'm kinda worried about it..............:(

If I had to guess at style, I'd say it's probably a belgian dubbel. Have you tasted it? If it tastes fine, it probably just needs time to age. These high alcohol beers are not meant to be drank right away. Let it sit for a few months, then try it again.

What yeast came with your kit?

The yeast was Fermentis T-58 Ale Yeast. I haven't tasted it - kinda thinking about letting it go another week or two.

I didn't catch the part where you mentioned brewing this on saturday. Have you taken a hydrometer reading? I think this beer is still fermenting, or should be.

It's more than likely your yeast throwing off some odd smells. After another week or so, it should be gone.

Back