Chicken Wings...How to Eat them...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, learn new things everyday. Interesting that in the 1000+ chicken wings I have had in my life I hadn't even thought of that.

There is some sort of pleasure of eating it right off the bone though. Don't you think?

I always eat the meat off around and then break that small bone off. That can be a bit of work though, I will try this very soon.

I have always grabbed both ends, twisted and pulled. The result is usually the same. Bones in one hand and meat in the other.

Thats what I do but I usually end up with two bones each with some meat. Works fine for me. I actually just put some wings in the oven a few minutes ago so looks like I will have to try this though.

Cool video. I have to disagree with the part about the cartilage being delicious. Bleh. But I'm gonna try the pulling the bones out thing.

I gotta try this, my son won't eat the damn things because their "on the bone". Yeah I know...just easier to get him boneless wings then hear him complain (or sit in a restaurant looking like a goober cutting up chicken wings with a knife/fork.)

I usually just put my thumb and forefinger between the bones on the big end, and push down on the plate with the small end, meat strips off the bones, eat, toss bones and repeat, I have gotten my name on the wall at buffalo wild wings for fast hot wing eating using this method, the drums are more of a scrape the meat off while holding the knob end technique, man I want hot wings now!

who has enough time to dissasimble their chicken wing? all you have to do is bite that peice of cartilage off, hold the small part of the wing and suck the meat off the bone. i can eat probably 20 of those wings in the time it takes him to savor one of them. if it was life or death he would have died. hahaha jk

That way is slow and stupid. There's no reason to pull out the bones individually. If you just stick the wing in your mouth lengthwise, you can slide all the meat right off the bones in one go.

That way is slow and stupid. There's no reason to pull out the bones individually. If you just stick the wing in your mouth lengthwise, you can slide all the meat right off the bones in one go.

I don't know about anyone else but I can't nor do I really want to deep throat a wing.

I think the point was it was good for dipping afterwards...hard to do with it in your mouth unless you're doing "Ranch Dressing shooters"...;):D

Thats the way roll too. Used to get funny looks from SWMBO at the wing shack.

The whole program sounds kinda over the top. However, I think I'll try pulling the small bone out next time I have wings. Good info.

Slide your tounge between the two bones from the narrow end. Pull the whole thing out fo your mouth, leaving delicous chicken in your mouth and the bones in your hand.

+1 on biting the cartilage off the small end, holding the larger joint, and using your teeth to strip the meat off both bones simultaneously. The Bones are typically the most temperature hot part of the chicken wing. Playing with your food by removing the bones will give you burned fingers. :)

I looooove chicken wings, one of my favorite foods evar. I used to eat the wingette portion exactly like the video...discovered it on my own many years ago when I worked in restaurants. Now I eat them 'normally' (like that first wing in the video). Why? I just like gnawing the meat off the bone...I enjoy them more. And I always dip my chicken wings (unbreaded and hot) in bleu cheese dressing so it's not an ease-of-dipping thing, I just like it better. Try it and decide for yourself.

EDIT: the above was posted before I read the responses. I have also tried 'deepthroating' a wing and that, for me, is the least enjoyable of all. I prob would rarely eat wings at all if that was the only way to eat them. Luckily there are many ways to eat a wing.

so is misspelling asinine ;)
At least someone knows how to spell. Congrats!! :mug:

However, this time I was trying to emphasize the "ass" (sarcasm)...;).

On a serious note, the video was intended for people who never thought about eating wings in this manner. Apparently, HBTers are a serious bunch of wing eaters...:rockin:

This is cool, but kind of takes away from eating wings on the bone.... Just pull the small one out and eat is how I do it. There is something satisfying about eating meat off a bone.

Ive used a variation of that technique for years now...Just pull out one bone and then dip the remaining one in the BLUE CHEESE...not ranch c'mon

SORRY...BLEU CHEESE SUCKS!!! :mad:

Alright... I'm a purist on this one. For the record, I went to college fairly close to Buffalo (that is, far enough away to not be overly negatively-affected), but I learned how to eat wings correctly.

First of all, ranch is a no-no; it's bleu cheese, or nothing. Ranch dressing with wings is an abomination. I've also had people mention that the bleu cheese is not for the wing, but for the celery, although this isn't a hard-and-fast rule.

Secondly, there's no need to de-bone it; that's for sissies. Grab the end, stick it in your mouth, clamp your teeth down, and pull. At least 90% of the meat should come off in your mouth; if not, you either have a tremendous overbite or they didn't cook the wings enough. After the first pass, you should be able to clean up with one more pass.

Then, the best part is the tendon. If it's soft and rubbery, find a better place to get wings-- they clearly don't know how to cook them. It shouldn't be hard and crunchy, but nicely pliable. You're not done with the wing until the bone is clean.

Finally, honey-barbecue, teriyaki, and other such flavorings just don't belong on a wing. A proper wing sauce is made with tons of butter and Frank's Hot Sauce. There is some latitude here, but anything else is a waste of a wing.

You don't have to agree with me on this, but if you don't, you're wrong. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. This is not open for debate; it's a religion.

Alright... I'm a purist on this one. For the record, I went to college fairly close to Buffalo (that is, far enough away to not be overly negatively-affected), but I learned how to eat wings correctly.

First of all, ranch is a no-no; it's bleu cheese, or nothing. Ranch dressing with wings is an abomination. I've also had people mention that the bleu cheese is not for the wing, but for the celery, although this isn't a hard-and-fast rule.

Secondly, there's no need to de-bone it; that's for sissies. Grab the end, stick it in your mouth, clamp your teeth down, and pull. At least 90% of the meat should come off in your mouth; if not, you either have a tremendous overbite or they didn't cook the wings enough. After the first pass, you should be able to clean up with one more pass.

Then, the best part is the tendon. If it's soft and rubbery, find a better place to get wings-- they clearly don't know how to cook them. It shouldn't be hard and crunchy, but nicely pliable. You're not done with the wing until the bone is clean.

Finally, honey-barbecue, teriyaki, and other such flavorings just don't belong on a wing. A proper wing sauce is made with tons of butter and Frank's Hot Sauce. There is some latitude here, but anything else is a waste of a wing.

You don't have to agree with me on this, but if you don't, you're wrong. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. This is not open for debate; it's a religion.
Well, it's nice to know that you know you're entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is...;):D

I like my wings crunchy. :rockin:

I guess you wouldn't agree with the Pastromi Wings either??? :D
IMO, Bleu Cheese sucks no matter what you put it on...:mug:

Grab the end, stick it in your mouth, clamp your teeth down, and pull. At least 90% of the meat should come off in your mouth; if not, you either have a tremendous overbite or they didn't cook the wings enough. After the first pass, you should be able to clean up with one more pass.

Yep, two seconds into the video this guy is telling me how I eat chicken wings is wrong and I'm thinking, "That is NOT how I eat chicken wings buddy!"

I just grab one end and eat it lengthwise like in your example, using my teeth to scrape off the meat. I pretty much get most if not all of it in one bite. MUCH easier than this stupid, "...and then grab the small bone and wiggle gently," crap! :D

Back