Semi-automatic Bottling Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nebben wrote:
Claudius, that is magnificent. Are you an engineer that specializes in brewery equipment and processes?

I was very fortunate a few years ago to work in a Mexican Coke plant for 6 month with lots of rotary bottle fillers.
I love automation, but I don't own a cell phone.:D

Do you have any plans or notes about the construction of this machine?
No, only pics.
Send me your questions.

I agree that kegging is easier, but then again, so is buying commercial brew.
You can't beat 5 gallon kegs.

On more option is a 5 liter keg filler.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Dude. You and I would be dangerous together.

Jkoravos you never know, we might do a project together before I go to the beer heaven :D

jajabee wrote:
Hmm, how is raising/lowering the bottles easier than raise/lowering the manifold?
Wouldn't the full bottles be a lot heavier to support?

Empty bottles can be raised without much effort.
Lowering the bottles is easy, the full bottles do all the work on the down stroke.
It's all in your design.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Empty bottles can be raised without much effort.
Lowering the bottles is easy, the full bottles do all the work on the down stroke.
It's all in your design.

Oh man, I wish I could buy you a beer and pick your brain sometime. :) I can't seem to visualize what sort of system would do this. The bottles would sit on a platform that raises and lowers, right? And it would be strong enough to lower smoothly under the weight of the full bottles. So what mechanism would make that happen? A big lever? A set of pulleys? Some sort of servo underneath that pushes it up and holds it there? Gears connected to a motor?

Obviously if I can automate the raising/lowering, I'm all for it, but I'd prefer to do it all with manual labor or electricity, not pneumatics or anything fancy. Is that possible?

Find a couple pulleys and make a track so the whole thing lifts straight up and down. Use knots in the string to hook onto a nail or something for the correct heights.

A counterweight system would not be that hard to build either. It all entails building proper track for the system to move on, which you seem very capable of doing. I think I would try to build the track out of more pvc for simplicity.

Re: the 8 channel pump on eBay. I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but it seems to me that the good news is that you're going to be filling 8 bottles simultaneously. The bad news: how many bottles are you going to need to fill in one session to make the maintenance & cleaning on the pump & all those lines worthwhile? Using the 8-channel pump is not all net gain. A regular commercial continuous bottling line gets past that issue by sheer volume.

I can't seem to visualize what sort of system would do this. The bottles would sit on a platform that raises and lowers, right?

Here is a simple manual solution for starters.
Different models are available.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3961

Mount the jack upside down, attach a platform with bottle holders, done.
For around $40.00 Harbor Freight sells a 12V motor driven scissor lift you could modify.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I would go the route of raising/lowering the bottles as well. Make a platform with circles cut out for bottle placement, then a simple foot operated lever to raise and lower the platform.

I used to do a lot of packaging and bottle/can filling work so here is my two cents.

Raising/lower the bottles or the filler head really depends on your design. If using a conveyor it is easier to leave the bottles on the conveyor and lower the filler into them. If raising/lowering the bottles you probably need a smooth moving system so you don't disturb the full bottles and cause a spill. Personally I think lowering the filler is easier.

I would avoid low pressure gravity flow. It can be made to work but it is an exercise in fine tuning to get each fill head to flow at the same rate, then if you change something the system has to be re-balanced. Pressurizing the system with a pump makes it much more repeatable but it is still not very accurate without some control over each bottle. Installing a solenoid valve in each bottles line with a photo eye to sense the liquid level is quite easy though not terribly cheap.

You could have each bottle sit on a balance beam style scale. The bottle stays up and pressed against a bottle filling wand until the magic weight is reached and it automatically lowers and the flow stops. This way each bottle can fill at it's own rate. Accuracy would depend on how smoothly your balance beam/scale operates. With this system I think you would want to raise/lower the filler head since the balance beams would be much easier to build if they only need a short stroke (enough to start/stop the bottling wand). The filler head could move up/down for the long distance to get all the way into the bottle.

If you are looking for a track system I would go with a ball bearing drawer track. use that in conjunction with a pulley and counter weight. That should be a fairly cheap way to make it work.

That would work for both moving heads down and up, or the other way and move bottles up and down leaving the heads staionary.

ha I have been thinking about this for awhile. I bottle belgians so I want something to help it along.
First things first. With 60% of the members here being engineers this should be done already :cross:

Step 1 I would use some type of board that would slide with the empties right under the 6 spigots. To me it would make sense to load all the empties into a notched board that you just reach up and grab 6 at a time.
Step 2 http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/fermtech-bottle-filler.html
attach 6 of these to the bottling bucket.
Step 3 just like in your drawing at the begining I would mount these to 2 metal poles that went up and down with a mechanical block of wood at the top for a locked position. this should be light. It should only have the small amount of beer in it plus the spacers.
Step 4 F--- pumps and that grud. I would stick with gravity. It doesnt ever break. I would mount the bucket above everything.
Step 5 Slide the board to the next stop caps or corks.
Step 6 Cap and cork
Repeat

Okay, the pump and arrived today. Put the manifold up on a rack using drawer tracks (thanks Brewmoor!), but it doesn't have a counterweight yet to make raising and lowering the fill heads easier. I'm also planning on adding some strong magnets I've got laying around to the top, to hold the manifold in place when I'm changing the bottles.

4027791625_f21e32c890.jpg

Ran some more tests, and got some interesting results... for one thing, even when they don't fill evenly, as soon as the pump stops, they all start adjusting their levels until each bottle has the same amount:

[ame]http://vimeo.com/7157694[/ame]

:drunk:

What the heck is happening there?

A less positive discovery was that the "gentle" diaphragm pump I ordered is introducing a lot of air bubbles to the water. So I may need to ditch the pump idea and think about how to get a full bucket way up there for a gravity feed. Not something I'm excited about. Other than the bubbles the pump works great, so it'd be cool if I could figure out how to get rid of them somehow. I wonder how big breweries transfer the beer for bottling? They must use pumps, right?

Heh, can you tell I've never used a pump? :) Back pressure, does that just mean putting the bucket above the pump, so there's a gravity feed going in?

the siphon level is pretty handy. to bad its not real usefull when trying to fill to the rim. Maby a two stage fill? fill 3/4, level, top off? or keep playing with ball valves untill correct.

If you know anyone that is into electronics and making their own circuits:
Have 6 sensors. Basically floaters that when the beer reaches a certain level in the bottle, stops the fill of that line, and sends a signal to the circuitry. Once all sensors have been tripped(all bottles are full) the circuit resets itself, meaning closes off the main flow to the main line and resets each bottle sensor.
That way you have no need for a timer, which is only good for 1 type of bottle. You don't have to worry about 1 filling up slightly faster than the other.

That setup is looking good. Glad the drawer tracks seem to be working. I am following this thread pretty closely. I think I am going to make something like this for my next project. This would make bottling day much easier.

As for the air bubbles in your tubes........ You might want to try using a bottling bucket as your source. Put the bucket above the pump and use gravity to keep some pressure on your incoming line. This should also help with priming the pump.

I use the same process for my wort chiller. I have a pretty ****ty pump with priming problems. Another thing that helps. (I imagine this will not work for running beer through the lines but..)I use olive oil in the inlets to the pump to lubricate and help with the priming. It keeps the seals tight and helps with suction.

I actually don't have to fill to the rim, since the fill tubes are open... they leave behind most of the liquid they displace, unlike the usual bottling wands. So the siphon level might actually work, hehe. Or I can just get the ball valve adjustments right.

So right now my top priorities on this project are getting rid of the air bubbles in the pump if possible, and making the raising/lowering of the fill tubes easier (I think the part that gets lifted weighs about 5 pounds with the liquid in it, and right now I don't have a brace between the two tracks to make them raise evenly).

So I'll put the pump on the floor, and the bucket up on the counter for starters. If that doesn't help, how can I add back pressure? And is it likely that air is entering through the hose barb connections? Maybe I should tape them up or something?

Is it possible you are getting air back in the line every time you stop. Perhasp some check valves on each line might be in order?

I think what he meant by backpressure is to put a on/off valve after the pump but before you get to the manifold. Then, close it down a bit until the bubbles stop. This will create pressure on the pump/liquid and slow the flow, eliminating the bubbles. I would put it right before the manifold so the liquid didn't have to travel upward after the on/off valve.

As an aside, have you thought about putting co2 tubing inline with the liquid tubing to purge the air before bottling? That would frickin' awesome. I suppose you're bottle priming so maybe not. But I would like one of these for bottling from kegs.

I was thinking about your design a bit. (mostly out of envy, and how can I build myself one)

A few things I came up with to tweak the design. Instead of using a counter weight I was thinking you could use springs. Get a few springs with just enough pressure on them to hold the system up then all you need is a tiny bit of force when pulling the heads down into the bottle for filling.

Also on your next edition you may try attaching the incoming tube from the pump, to the center of the main bar. This might help with your adjustments on getting the heads to fill evenly. Making the distance to the outer heads shorter.

I have another idea for getting the heads to fill evenly but I am not sure how to explain it. I will draw something up and post the pic when I get a chance.

Head Design
filler1.jpg

Leveling Chamber
chamber6.jpg

Disclaimer: I am a poor artist. My drawing skills are lacking

So this is what I am thinking.

In the top photo I have placed the input tube in the middle. Might help with adjusting flow. I was also thinking springs could help with the load so using it might be more effortless.

The second picture is something I though might help with equalizing the flow. If all the tubes going the the head are the same length, and they are all getting fluid at the same time from the chamber, it might make adjusting the flow easier. I would also place them at equal distance around the pvc chamber as well...........Just thinking out loud.

I am stoked on a home bottle filling station. This is for sure going to be my next project.

Okay, so now I have the rack working the way I want it. It's braced so it doesn't wobble all over the place, there's a counterweight to make it lighter, and I used some super strong magnets to hold it at the top while I switch out the bottles. Here's a video, featuring my husband's lovely arm:

I'll need to figure out how to stabilize the fill tubes, right now some of them move around a little too much. Otherwise it's working great, very easy to use.

4032910017_e44145f2b0.jpg

4032911975_eebe0da168.jpg

Soo..... then there's the pump. Adding a valve before the manifold didn't seem to make a difference. Moving the pump down and the bucket up did help. There aren't any more obvious bubbles. However, if I look really close, there does seam to be a steady stream of really tiny bubbles, almost like champagne bubbles, flowing along the line to the manifold. Hmmmmmm. I'm very nervous about running my actual beer through there, it seems like a sure fire way to oxidize it, doesn't it? I'm open to any more suggestions y'all might have on how to get rid of them.

Now, I happen to have about 4 gallons of beer that's been sitting in a carboy in the kitchen for waaaaaay too long. It was a demo brew at a local beer festival, and I'm very suspicious of the water quality, etc. that we had that day. I'm not expecting this to turn out well, though it doesn't appear to be infected. I'm thinking I'll use it as a test batch for this bottling system. If I run it through this bottler, and it doesn't taste like wet cardboard in 2 weeks, then maybe I can call it a success, eh? :)

In the meantime, though, I have another 6 gallons of Yuri's pumpkin ale that need to be bottled, and I sure would like to use this system. Hmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did this thread abruptly stop in Oct 2009?

This is one of the most interesting DIY projects I've seen on HBT. What happened?

There's one thing I kept thinking about as I was reading through here... I absolutely hate losing that last bit of beer that doesn't quite fill a bottle... With this system, you'd have 6 of those 'lost' beers at the end....a major loss when we're only talking 5gal batches as it is.

I successfully made a bottle-filler for pre-carbonated beer with about $10 in parts and it works like a champ (using a design I found here on the boards). This relates to this thread because the whole goal is to 'save time' right? Isn't it better to save a week by pre-carbonating your beer and filling from a keg than to save 20sec on how long it takes to fill one bottle at a time with uncarbonated beer? I'm just saying...

Wow, hard to believe so much time has gone by!

This project was abruptly interrupted by us buying a house and moving, which put a stop to a lot of my little garage projects. By the time I was ready to get back into testing it, I'd experienced my first two infected batches of beer, which I suspected were due to my usual bottling plastics (auto siphon, bucket, tubing, wands). This made me realize how much plastic the beer would be touching in my automatic bottle filler, almost all of which is opaque and difficult to check for cleanliness. I lost interest, I'm afraid.

I've since replaced my standard bottling plastics and upped my sanitation practices, and produced several uninfected batches, but I'm still interested in speeding up the bottling process. Maybe I could rethink this in stainless steel?

I like the idea of using a sensor on one of the filler tubes to trigger a shutoff valve. Since you have the flow to each tube down to close enough, you only need one sensor.

Rig this up so it requires you manually resetting it to prevent flow when you raise the filler rack. Easy to do with a loop back to the relay input wired through a circuit break button.

Like this:
Run a low amp 12V feed to a wire taped to the side of one fill tube.
Run a second wire from the other side of the tube to a cheap 12v SPDT relay.
When the fluid reaches the wires the relay shuts and sends power to a valve to stop flow.
The line to the valve is also looped back to the wire coming out of the tube to the relay through a break button.

The fluid level triggers the relay to trigger the valve AND the feed back loop keeps the relay closed AND the valve shut until you can raise the rack, replace with new bottles and press the break (Start flow) button to restart the filling process. (You might also hook up a break button on the input side before the filler tube so you can add a tad more beer if needed.)

As to the tubes not being stable problem, simply do not raise it quite that high. Leave a little filler tube inside the bottles. Then you just tilt the bottles slightly to remove and replace them. Or since they are mounted with a short piece of soft flexible tubing just lengthen that soft tube an inch or so. Just enough to keep the filler tube in the neck of each bottle whenever the rack is fully raised.

Talk about automation. Next is a 6 bottle bench capper. Make some boards on drawer slides with 6 large holes to standardize the bottle placement and you have an assembly line. Now to figure out a labeler for the next station on the line.

Hi all, saw a video after checking out the original video link in the first post and found this DIY bottling line video, . check it out.

Pinworthy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure any of this stuff is worth it. When you brew, bottle, etc....what do you spend most of your time doing? Cleaning and sanitizing. That's the process that needs to be automated/sped up/made easier. Sure, liquid transfers can be a PITA but most of us have graduated from cooling with ice in the bath tub and dumping the cooled wort through a strainer into buckets. We all know tubes and pumps make the job easier and quicker but even before we were making liquid transfer easier we were still spending most of our time sanitizing...this is especially true with bottling. A high pressure bottle washer and sanitizing dishwasher that can handle 50 bottles or so would make bottling day so, so much easier that you might not even want to worry about automating the filling process.

Just had to kick this one up

A wine bottling wand will fill a 22 oz bottle twice as fast as the beer wand.

I think an auto caper would save more time than an auto filler. (and no clean up with a caper)

We bottle 35 gallons at a time (180 bottles) right now it takes about 1/2 min to fill a bottle and at the same time you are capping, washing, and boxing the previous bottle.

Below is the setup currently being used (we bottle twice a week) by having the wand tubing at the correct length you don't have to hold it while the bottle is being filled. You do have to stop filling at the right time or you lose beer.

anyone got an auto caper

100_1719.jpg

Just had to kick this one up

A wine bottling wand will fill a 22 oz bottle twice as fast as the beer wand.

I think an auto caper would save more time than an auto filler. (and no clean up with a caper)

We bottle 35 gallons at a time (180 bottles) right now it takes about 1/2 min to fill a bottle and at the same time you are capping, washing, and boxing the previous bottle.

Below is the setup currently being used (we bottle twice a week) by having the wand tubing at the correct length you don't have to hold it while the bottle is being filled. You do have to stop filling at the right time or you lose beer.

anyone got an auto caper

Your setup here reminds me of a local semi-nano I help bottle at from time to time. Before they got a bottling machine they used to fill them all by hand using something similar to this (though slightly different, seemed built for 12oz bottles cause it had a tray to rest the bottles on): https://morebeer.com/view_product/6689
it worked, you could often get 5 bottles in various stages of filling, and by design it will stop filling once it reaches the top. Similar idea as you mentioned, but they have it gravity fed from a bigger tank up top, which then fills the reservoir in the filler. It's obviously a bit of an investment, but I found it pretty convenient for their bottling days. The fact that it stops once full was the most appealing, as you could to some extent leave it and do other stuff if you didn't have enough people helping.

EDIT: Okay, more like this picture, showing the adjustable tray for both catching spills and supporting various heights for bottles: http://www.napafermentation.com/catalog_i2939340.html?catId=127263

I'm not sure any of this stuff is worth it. When you brew, bottle, etc....what do you spend most of your time doing? Cleaning and sanitizing. That's the process that needs to be automated/sped up/made easier.

I realize that this is an old post, but I do agree with the above. I bottle maybe 25% of my beer and I don't abhor the process at all really. IMO, the trick is to be well organized and have the right equipment. You can fill a bottle faster if you elevate the bottling bucket which will provide more pressure head to the filler thingy. I can bottle two cases (approx 5 gallons) in about 45 minutes or less. A bench capper really helps and it works best if it's bolted to a base of some kind so that it is very stable. I clean and santize the bottles in advance of the actual bottling process. I fill a bottle, cap it, dunk it in a bucket of cold water to clean the exterior of any dribbled beer then place it in a beer case (I have the new plastic waterproof cases that work really well for this). I can usually multitask some of this. I load a cap in the capper with one hand while filling the bottle with the other. I then grab the next bottle from the tree as the filling tops out. Once you get a rythum going, you can haul ass and be done in no time. Once you accumulate a number of bottles and keep recycling them, the cleaning part is not really much trouble. A short soak in Oxiclean, dunk in clean cold water bucket, a blast on the jet bottle washer, a squirt of sanitizer with one of them vinator thingys and onto the tree. Again, you can multi-task using both hands. Blast a bottle while dunking the next and so on. It helps to have a couple of home brews inside you to do this smoothly.

Thanks WorstBrewing

You have me thinking This might be the next step

this is the thread that shows our set up

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/squam-lakes-brewery-pictures-144764/

I actually meant to mention that before, very nice set up! I've been following your thread for a while, as it is filled with inspiration for the direction I'm hoping to go too!

I definitely recommend the 5-spout filler, from what I can find I think there is basically just one company that makes them but it's a really clever design. The top works as a reservoir, and the spouts are curved inside, resting against the wall closest to them. Basically, the bottles sit high enough so that the reservoir level is the same as where the bottle becomes full, so when you put a bottle on and push, the bottle is filled but only up to the point where the fluid is at in the reservoir, so it auto-stops at the same place every time (until you start running out of beer from your other tank of course).

I'm sure with some hunting you could find a used one from a winery or something, the guy at this brewery got most of his stuff used he said, including a really sweet pneumatic bench capper and some trays for sanitizing 12 bottles at once. I was almost sad to see them go to a bottling machine just cause of how neat the whole experience was, but at the same time, they can crank out a lot more now so that's a plus!

I helped them bottle with their new machine the first time, so of course the question came up as to what they plan to do with the old equipment. At the time (just a few months ago, I wanna say April or May) he said he didn't want to get rid of them yet in case the machine were to break or anything, so they'd atleast have a back up. I'll ask him next time I'm down, I haven't been able to help bottle lately because they do it during my work hours now (used to do it on the weekends) but I'll let you know.

Nice! The one I used is actually a lot like this one, but was red instead of gold: http://wineryparts.com/index.php/eq...mpagne-corker/pneumatic-capper-air-matic.html

but I like the operation of the one you posted, with the foot pedal. The one I used required both of those red knobs to be pressed at the same time or it wouldn't work, I assume for safety reasons or something but it was still sort of a pain in comparison.

EDIT: Actually, I think this is the exact one they have: http://ecom.bosagrape.com/product.php?productid=18761&cat=334&page=1

Okay, I been thinking about this a lot recently (hence my search where I found this thread) here's what I am thinking.

Gravity fed system, so hopper on the top (could be only a few gallons and then use a pump to keep it full) then computer controlled valves at each out-port. then a section of hose/pvc/whatever that is exactly 12oz in size. Then a valve at the bottom leading to a bottling wand.

System works really simple. Press 1 button, all bottom valves close, slight pause, all top valves open filling the 12 oz "Hopper". load bottles, press button 2, top valves close, slight pause, then bottom valves open, all the bottles get filled.

Could even put 1 set of buttons per filling station so you could fill 1 bottle while capping another.

Feel free to add whatever goodies you want, I like the idea of adding a CO2 purge down line from the lower valve so you could purge bottles before filling. Could add pneumatic capper, sensors, conveyor belts ect.

SpamDog

Back